Social Butterfly • Andy Barber

Start from the beginning

"She's 20 months old," you simply reply with, to other people your response may be dry, and simple. But it's not even that you don't want to engage in a conversation, it's just the way your brain is wired.

The same thing with Andy, there's never any complicated or complex responses coming from him either, he's gets straight to the point and so do you.

"Oh!" The woman clutches both hands to her chest, "she is beautiful!"

"Bootiful!" Your daughter repeats, smiling big at this woman, then she reaches for the woman's long necklaces, and the multiple rings she had on.

You see your daughter's eyes lighten up with amusement, ready to snatch that necklace off and inspect it, it's the reason you don't wear jewelry anymore because one time she almost ripped your earrings off.

You snatch your baby's hand and lower it, before something awful and embarrassing occurred. The fastest hands ever were ironically gifted to toddlers and babies all over the world. But you were the expert in taming the one that belonged to you and your husband.

She grunts at you in anger, not letting her do what she pleased. The elderly woman laughs softly at this, while also taking a look at what your daughter was wearing.

"I'm glad she's fully dressed. Sometimes when I come to this store, there's mothers that have their babies in diapers!" The woman complains, rolling her eyes, "it's ridiculous."

See, this is where your brain starts flashing red, and your body goes into flight or fight mode. You can't help it. But now the woman has engaged in judgmental conversation about other mothers.

"Bye sweetie! Oh what a cute little thing you are!" The woman pats your daughter's head again, making her giggle. Your daughter reaches to touch the woman's hand. Clutching her pudgy fingers around one of the woman's fingers.

"Have a lovely afternoon," you smile and grab the cereal box, letting your daughter say goodbye to her new friend.

"BAI!" Your daughter shouts, attracting the attention of the people walking past the aisles.

You push the cart to the dairy section, and thankfully it's empty. Your daughter goes back to sipping on her juice, looking at you with those big beautiful eyes of hers.

A couple appears, hand in hand, buying some milk as well. This time you and your daughter both see them from the way the cart was angled.

"Don't you do it..." you whisper quietly as your daughter starts turning her head, smiling at the couple.

You can hear the young girl telling the guy she was with how cute the baby was, and that she wanted one too.

Take this one, you said in your head, obviously kidding.

Acting like you didn't overhear their conversation, you scan the various milk brands to find the one you and Andy use.

The couple pass by slowly, you feel them watching you, but probably the baby more.

"Hi there, oh you are just so adorable!" The girl holds hands with her partner as they stayed at a safe distance away, yet they weren't moving.

"Hi!" Your daughter greets them as if she's known them her whole life, "appa' juize," she shows them her sippy cup. And the girl melts again, and you catch how she squeezes her partner's hand.

He smiles at the little baby too. But you can tell he doesn't want one yet. Her on the other hand, that's all she wants.

"Congratulations," the girl says when you meet eyes with her, "your daughter is so cute."

You gulp down the anxiety, something about speaking with new people, you don't know what it is, perhaps a past trauma you need to work through. It's normal.

You were an introvert with social skills, that's for sure.

"Thank you very much," you politely respond and place the milk jug into the cart.

"What's her name?" The girl plays with her necklace, your daughter begins to speak to the man, something about Mickey Mouse. When you realize he's wearing Mickey on his shirt.

"Her name is Aspen...but uh, my husband calls her Penny."

"Oh, Aspen, so beautiful! Congratulations again!" The girl leaves after her boyfriend or husband tugs on her hand, this baby talk making him...bored.

"Thanks," you say quietly as you begin pushing the cart again, you quickly grab the rest of your things on your list so you could get the hell out of there.

While paying Aspen had to have a serious conversation with the cashier, who was just laughing away at the adorable toddler talk. He was a teenage boy, but he was very kind, which is rare to see sometimes.

"Hi!" Aspen says to the man hopping out from his car as you buckled her in her car seat, "hey-o," she repeats when the man doesn't acknowledge her.

"Aren't you just a social butterfly," you sigh, buckling in her good before moving out of the way, closing the door but she had her window down, the man finally sees what was calling to him and he chuckles,

"Hey there, kiddo!" He responds and leaves to head into the grocery store. Aspen smiles, feeling accomplished, she met so many people today!

Pulling up into the driveway, Andy is always on alert whenever you come home from the grocery store to help you with the baby, and the bags.

He meets the both of you in the garage. Sliding out of the door leasing into the house the same time you turned the car off. And sees the look on your face when he helps you with your car door.

"What happened this time?" Your husband chuckles, and you shake your head, burying your face into your hand, as he hugs you.

Aspen squealing at seeing her Dada, starting to get fussy because he wasn't getting her out of her confines fast enough.

"I don't know who she takes after!" He immediately knows what you mean, he's been out and about with Penny too and knows how much she loves to meet new people.

Andy kisses your lips twice, to calm you down, and then the top of your head, "she's just a toddler, baby, it's natural for some to be very outgoing. No matter the parent's genes."

You grab some of the light bags to take inside your cozy home, while Andy grabs Penny.

"Were you a good for Mama, Penny girl?" Andy carries Aspen out of her seat and into his arms, kissing her chubby cheek a few times, since he missed her so much.

"Yas!" Aspen's response was, placing her arm a top of her father's shoulders.

"You're just a little social butterfly, das all," Andy's baby voice was one of the purest things on this planet. He loved his baby girl to death, just like he loved you.

"And makes my blood pressure rise up, das all," you appear behind Andy's back, Aspen smiling big at you when she spots you.

She laughs at you and her father speaking silly, showing both you and Andy her cute, tiny, teeth.

The little stinker...she sure is adorable.

a/n: another super short but super sweet one shot! 💕 ah I love husband Andy. And I love the fact that our baby is more social than us hahahah 🤣