"Thanks sis," he said, pulling it on.

"Come on. We won't find a parking spot at this rate," I called over my shoulder, jogging past him down the steps.

I stopped by the kitchen and filled Cheddar's food bowl. The kitchen was clean and tidy, mostly because only Stefan and I ate breakfast. Scott always had an apple on the way to school. Thank the Lord for that. If he had breakfast at home, the kitchen would stay a mess.

Back in the living room, I picked up my jacket off the brown couch. Cheddar was sleeping soundly in one corner. I rubbed his neck, he purred loudly.

"Yeah, now you're sleeping," I mumbled, tugging at the orange ear of my tabby cat. "I should wake you up just to teach you a lesson, you brat. Why do you always wake me up at three in the morning, hmm?"

"Stop talking to the cat and let's go," Stefan said, walking past me to the front door.

"Scott!" I called, following after Stefan.

Three minutes after getting into the car, Scott came rushing out the door. He glared at Stefan when he saw that he'd taken the front seat. Served him right for being late.

I pulled out of the driveway and drove to school, leaving the two-story white house behind.

"Whose turn is it to do the lawn?" I asked. It needed a good cut.

Scott groaned in the backseat. Stefan chuckled. "Sam is coming home in a couple of weeks man. You better get to it."

"I know, I know," Scott said.

Our town was waking up from a long summer. It'd been a week since the first day of school, but it was just now beginning to feel like we were no longer on vacation.

Wa drove by a woman walking her dog, a golden retriever, its namesake coat almost glowing under the bright morning sun. I turned for a second glance as we drove past them. What a beautiful dog.

"Eyes upfront," Stefan said next to me. I rolled my eyes. The road was empty and I only glanced over. Stefan usually drove like he did everything else, sensibly. But I was more careful than he was, no doubt a by-product of my car anxiety.

We took a turn, and our school building loomed at the end of the street. A sprawling red-brick building with white windows and a large parking area, which was mostly full.

Thankfully, we found a spot, although it was tucked in the middle of the parking lot.

"It's going to take forever to get out of here later," I mumbled.

"It's fine," Stefan mumbled, opening his door. Noise spilled in; car engines and voices and laughter.

"I have training after school," Scott said as we walked down the sidewalk to the school building. "Don't wait for me. Jason will give me a ride."

He veered off to the left toward some of his football teammates. My hand reached for the pocket of my school bag, before I remembered that I didn't have any snacks. I glared at Stefan. Thief.

I searched the wave of students milling around or moving to the doors, but I didn't spot a particular head of black hair. Where was she?

"See you later," Stefan said, tugging on my hair and running away before I could pinch him. He jogged up ahead to catch up to a couple of guys, slapping one of them on the back of his head. Jason whipped his head around with a scowl that turned less murderous when he saw it was Stefan. Then he proceeded to choke him. I shook my head. Boys.

Mrs. Crawford stood at the door of the reception office. Her short red hair matched her blotchy cheeks and knitted sweater.

The Students lingering in the hallway didn't escape her scrutiny. I spotted a guy wearing a loose tank top with the arm holes hanging halfway to his ribs. Really? Did he think he was in the beach?