Chapter 6: Surprise!

Start from the beginning

"I hope he figures it out before the other pups to start wondering why he looks different."

"Me, too," I breathed. "I hope so, too."

***

"Did you bring the cake?" said Marcy. "I don't see it. Fallon, please tell me you didn't forget it."

"It's in the trunk where less flying toys could smash it."

"Thank god. I'm going to take Rudy in while you get the cake. Don't let her see it until we're ready."

"Will do."

We climbed out of the car. I retrieved the cake while Marcy went to meet my mother at the front door.

"You're here! I've been waiting all morning." She quickly took Rudy and hugged her grandson. "There's my little snuggle bug." She kissed his cheek. "Are you walking yet?"

"Nope," said Marcy. "Close, but he hasn't gotten enough courage to try."

I followed them as we entered the house.

"What's the cake for?" asked my mom. "This little monster isn't going to be one for another month."

"Something for dessert." I took it to the kitchen.

Marcy followed me. She removed the lid and took a deep breath. "Are you ready for this?"

I kissed the side of her head. "Nothing will surprise me anymore. Pink fur, maybe." With a shrug, I hugged her. "No matter what, they're going to be loved." I pointed at Rudy. "That's one of the luckiest pups in the whole pack. He has you for a mom."

Nodding, she stood up straight. "Bring it in and put it on the table. Let's see how long it takes her to notice."

Picking up the tray, I smiled at the message that Marcy had written on it this morning. I carried it into the living room. I placed it on the coffee table before sitting on the couch across from my mom. She didn't notice it but Rudy did. He tried to escape and reached toward the pan.

My mom turned slightly and then jolted forward. "What? We're Exp—" Her mouth fell open.

Marcy smiled. "Surprise!"

Rudy threw his arms in the arm and giggled.

"Oh my god." My mom put Rudy down and came over to hug my mate.

Lifting himself up, Rudy reached for the cake with 'We're Expecting' written across it. Light pink and blue frosting has been swirled along the edges. I grabbed my son before he could get to it. He was not happy and arched his back to getaway.

"So soon?" My mother clasped her chest. "Rudy is still so little."

"We thought about waiting a bit longer but it happened." She shrugged with a smile.

"I'm so happy for you." She gave my mate another squeeze and rocked from side to side.

I put Rudy down as he started to scream. The boy held onto the side of the couch and looked over his shoulder. I eyed the boy. He reached out his hand but was too afraid to let go. After getting his feet situated, he took the leap of faith. I gave the pup an approving nod as he took the two steps to the coffee table.

"He walked!" My mom clapped her hands. "Little Rudy took his first steps." She snatched the boy and kissed his forehead. "You're going to be a big brother."

Marcy lifted Rudy's sweater and my mother awed at the t-shirt hidden underneath.

"That is darling."

"I have another one he's going to wear to the alpha's mansion tomorrow."

Big Brother was written across the small boy's shirts. Rudy was more concerned about the cake than what his mother and grandpa had to say.

Standing, I picked up the cake. "I'll go cut this up before Rudy finally gets to it and makes a mess."

My mom put the pup down and dropped to his knees and took off after me. He was a determined little thing, that was for sure. After putting the cake on the table, I picked Rudy up and put him in his highchair. He slammed his hands on the tray. I shook my head as he yelled at me and pounded his little fist.

Leaning down to his leave, I frowned at the pup. "That's no way to act."

He grabbed my ear. I wiggled them for him and he burst into laughter.

"Crazy kid." I removed his shirt and read the front.

One more pup was on the way. I'd be lying if I wasn't hoping this one would be born in werewolf form. I was already starting to worry about how the other pups would treat Rudy. Whatever happened, they'd be a welcome addition to our growing family.

Rudy screamed and tried to climb out of his seat.

"Alright, alright. I'm getting you some." I messed up his hair as I went to get the plates.