Chapter 16: Choice

Brenna

Knock, knock, knock!

The sound came from the door in my room. "That would be Magenta." Adan stood and reached for my hand. "Come. I want to have Magenta check you over to make sure you're well. Also, Asana, my designer, will send some clothes for you tonight but will come tomorrow for your wardrobe, your hair, and the like after you've rested."

I nodded, suddenly too tired to put up a fight. But the gruff, sexy Alpha surprised me by pulling me to his chest and wrapping his arms around me. "Fear not, dear Brenna. You are with me now, and I'll keep you safe."

"Thank you."

Although I could take care of myself, I wasn't so stupid as to think that I could go it alone without protection. In our world, one needed a Pack for protection. Even in the human world, a Mafia Princess wouldn't last a day without the protection of her Family.

And even though he doesn't know it yet, after last night and this morning, I couldn't leave him if I tried.

Adan kissed the top of my head and took my hand, giving me a sexy smile. "Let's go." He pulled me into my suite and let my hand go as he crossed the room to the door and opened it.

A beautiful woman with nearly black hair and long red fingernails stood in the doorway. "So, you've found your Mate?" A knowing smile spread across her face, arching an eyebrow as she took Adan in.

"I have." Adan stood back to let her in, returning her smile. "Magenta, this is Brenna. Brenna, this is our Pack Witch and Healer, Magenta."

"My, my!" Magenta crossed the room, never breaking eye contact, a sly smile donning her lips. "You're quite beautiful! I can see why the Alpha is so taken with you."

"Thank you. You're beautiful, too."

She chuckled. "Thank you." She motioned over herself and then leaned in conspiratorially. "Magic has its advantages." Then she turned to face Adan. "Well, if you'll leave us, I'll check her over. But she needs rest." She waved her hand dismissively. "Alpha, say ado to your Mate, and she will see you this afternoon."

Adan's head snapped up, his lips curling into a snarl. "Do not presume to order me about, Magenta. I am still your Alpha."

Magenta squared her shoulders as she lifted her chin. "You are the Alpha of this Pack, but I have no Alpha. But do not forget how long I've served you." In our world, Pack Witches serve a Pack but belong to a Coven. "Now, leave me with your Mate so I can do what I must... please." She smiled sweetly, batting her eyelashes.

Adan frowned, shaking his head, but took my hand. "I shall see you this evening. Rest well." Then he raised my hand to his lips and kissed it, his eyes never leaving mine.

I nodded as a thrill involuntarily went through my body. "Thank you... for everything."

One corner of his lips curled into a sexy grin. "'Twas my pleasure." Then he turned and walked out, closing the door behind him.

Magenta looked into my eyes, giving me a knowing smile. "You are quite taken with him. Are you not?"

I blinked, my mouth opening slightly. "How did you...." Then understanding dawned on me. "You can read minds."

"Yes, I can." She chuckled, her British accent strong as she spoke, circling me. "But fear not, dear Brenna. Your secrets are safe with me." Then she stopped before me. "After all, we women must have a few secrets. Shouldn't we?" She took my hand. "Let's go into the bedroom. I must look you over." When I hesitated, she quickly added, "I shall not touch you physically." Then she took my hands, her bright green eyes meeting mine. "I assure you, child. You are safe with me."

I nodded, doing as she said, and followed her into the bedroom and laid the blankets aside.

She stood over me and smiled. "I could have done this on the dining table, the sofa, or anywhere else, but I thought the bed would be more comfortable for you."

I sighed. "I understand."

Magenta closed her eyes and held her hands over me, six inches away from my body. She started at my stomach and slowly moved down my legs, nodding now and again as she got a reading. Then she moved from my feet slowly up to my head. She stayed there for a moment and suddenly gasped. Finally, she opened her eyes and let out a deep breath. She sat on the club chair next to my bed, looking drained.

I sat up, concerned. "Are you all right?"

She nodded, giving me a small smile, a crease forming between her eyes. "Brenna, you've been through a huge ordeal. Although you have not been damaged physically, it will take a while for you to heal emotionally. In fact, you may carry some remnants of the internal scars for years to come."

I nodded as a lump rose in my throat.

"But do not let what happened to you govern your future." She smiled as she tilted her head to the side. "You are safe here, in this Pack." She chuckled. "The Alpha may be a bit gruff, but he has a good heart and will not harm you. You will be safe under his protection. But be cautious of anyone outside this Pack until you get to know them. Also, trust your instincts. You have a keen awareness of people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I sense that you can read people as soon as you meet them."

I nodded, amazed at what she was saying. "I can, but I wasn't sure if my perceptions were always accurate."

Magenta chuckled. "They are, so trust them. You're young yet, but as the years pass, you will come to rely on your intuition just as much as I do."

A crease formed between my eyes. "So, I'm a witch?"

She laughed. "No, not yet. But let's just say that you have the power to become a Luna, if you so choose."

I scoffed. "A Luna? But I thought they were chosen by the Moon Goddess, Selene."

"They are." She nodded, leaning in. "Tell me, child. Has a full moon passed since you turned eighteen?"

I thought for a moment and shook my head. "No, not to my knowledge. I just turned eighteen a few weeks ago."

Magenta let out a deep breath. "As you probably know, when a she-wolf turns eighteen, she can present herself before the Moon Goddess for consideration to become a Luna, if she so chooses."

***

A/N: Thank you so much for reading! So, do you think Brenna will present herself to become a Luna?