Chapter 08: I Deserve This

Start from the beginning

"You love me, right, Aya-chan?"

I froze on my spot, finally looking at him to meet his gaze. There was immense sadness in his brown eyes as he waited for my response. I gathered my voice then replied, "Yes."

Sakurai Ryo immediately smiled brightly, as if relieved, then pulled me in for another tight embrace.

"I love you so much, Aya-chan. Please don't stop loving me, I can't bear to lose you."

***

Lightning flashed through the sky as thunder roared furiously, making me recoil in surprise.

It had already been an hour since I left Ryo's house but Imayoshi-senpai was still nowhere in sight.

I was so sure that he would come and get me, after all he seemed like he was in a hurry to get to me earlier when he called, but apparently I was wrong.

Worried, I looked around me one last time. Upon seeing no signs of Imayoshi Shouichi, I decided to finally give him a call.

It just kept on ringing, however.

"Please pick up, senpai," I muttered under my breath, biting my lower lip as my calls remained unanswered. I suddenly recalled the way he sounded through the phone earlier; he seemed so miserable, and I couldn't help but worry even more.

I nearly dropped my phone in fright when thunder boomed once again. It looked like it was about to rain.

Damn it.

The people around me was giving me curious glances as I stood conspicuously in the middle of the road. I remained rooted there for nearly an hour now waiting for Imayoshi-senpai, not even caring if I was in the way of the many people walking by.

"The number you have dialed is unavailable. Please try again later."

I groaned deeply. Now my calls weren't even reaching him anymore.

Just where the hell are you, senpai?

I turned on my heels then began to run, looking from left to right in hopes of spotting him in the crowd. When it started to drizzle, I started to panic. I could feel the erratic pounding of my heart inside my chest.

I was just about to resort to calling Imayoshi-senpai's mom to ask if he had gone home—because maybe I was just overthinking everything and maybe he went home already when I cut our call earlier—when my phone started ringing.

Thank goodness!

Relief flooded over me as I hurriedly answered Imayoshi Shouichi's call. "Where are you?"

"Aya."

I stopped on my tracks. His voice this time was completely weak and lifeless that it made my breathing hitch. "I've been looking for you."

"Why? You're supposed to be with Sakurai."

Upon hearing that, I composed myself then started running again. "Just... Tell me where you are."

It took a few seconds before he answered, "I'm at the park where we used to play together."

That was all I needed before I ran full speed, grasping at my phone tightly, not even minding the rain that was starting to soak me.