Chapter 21

A week later//

Leanne huffed and faced her sister. With a sigh, she rubbed the back of her neck, waiting for her sister to respond back to her accusation. Am I overreacting?

"Lee, I don't know what to say..." Melissa said helplessly. She knew Leanne desperately needed someone else's opinion. "Do you not trust him?"

"No, I do. I trust him with my life but it just seems so weird. I mean, in a week, he knows everything? He knows how to use a phone. he texts me all the time!" Her bedroom door slammed open and Leanne stopped talking. Kevin smiled at them both and then walked over to give Leanne a kiss. "Hey, how was work?" she asked, forgetting the accusations she just made against him.

"Alright. But, I may be leaving the place and starting another job. Or I might just become their maths teacher. I'm not sure." Leanne followed him as he left the room. She stopped him just before he could go back downstairs.

"Hello? When did you make this decision?"

"Yesterday. Now, I'm hungry, so I'm gonna go and eat," he snapped. Leanne let go of the arm she was holding and walked back to her bedroom. "Leanne, I'm sorry!" he called after her. Melissa sighed and then watched as her sister pushed Kevin away.

"Just go and eat. I need to talk to Melissa anyways."

Leanne softly shut the door. "Hey, Lee, just come here," Melissa whispered as she patted the space beside her on the bed. Leanne shook her head and then placed it on the door.

"He was lying to me all this time, wasn't he? He knew how to read, didn't he? How does one learn how to do everything in a week? I gave him a home. I gave him clothes. Food. I gave him my heart and he...Was that whole year in the library just a joke? I just don't understand, Mel!" Melissa watched as he sister rambled to herself.

"I think you should go to Louis..." she suggested. Leanne snapped her head back to Melissa and took in the suggestion. "Maybe you would get answers from him."

"Okay...okay.I'm gonna go now. I'm just gonna go and talk to Kevin quickly." Grabbing her jacket and shoes, she thought of what to say Kevin.I should only say something after I talk to Louis. With her one shoe on and jacket on, she bumped into Kevin. "Hey, listen, I need to go and speak to someone about work stuff."

"Library or newspaper?"

"Urm...both, actually."

"Hey, Leanne," he said as she quickly tied her shoelaces. "I'm sorry about snapping at you before. It's just been a stressful day at work and I am so sorry I took it out on you." Leanne stopped in her tracks and stood up to face him. She saw the honesty in his eyes and felt bad for thinking that he would be using her. "I love you, Leanne," he whispered against her lips before kissing them.

"I love you too, Kev. Always." He kissed the top of her head and let go of her. Standing still, he watched as she left the house. Melissa came down the stairs and slowly walked past him.

"Where did she go, Kev?" she asked as she poured her milk into a bowl.

"Something got to do with work, she said." Kevin watched her search for a spoon. "Melissa?"

"Yeah?"

"Is she happy?" Melissa froze, holding a spoon just above her cereal. She shrugged her shoulders and then put a mouthful of cereal in her mouth. "Please, just tell me."

"Kev, I don't know. It's between you two. Did you both have an argument?"

Kevin sighed and stared up at the ceiling. "No. She's just been a bit off these last two days. She barely lets me touch her, Melissa. She didn't let me hold her hand all day yesterday. It's like she is here but she isn't. Is there something coming up that she is worried about? Like an anniversary? A death anniversary? Just anything?"

Melissa sadly smiled at him. "I don't know, Kev. I don't know anything that would make her feel like that or act like that. Have a talk with her when she comes back, yeah? If anything, she's probably gonna be on soon. I honestly don't know."I do know. I just can't tell you the truth before Leanne finds the truth herself.

///A/N

Just wanted to say I'm really, truly sorry for keeping you guys waiting for this month! I just want to say that I shall be returning on the 13th June. Again, I am so sorry for doing this but I need to get some serious revision done for these exams.

Hope you all understand where I am coming from and aren't too mad.

-purplepenguinn