Chapter One

"There will be rules here, Kristen." My dad George spoke after a silent 20 minute car ride to his penthouse in London. I sighed looking at the man who was absent most of my life. The only reason I'm here is because my mom, was going to be away all summer on business and I had no other place to go.

"I'm not a bad kid, you would know if you stuck around long enough."

He let out a long sigh, while I watched London through the window. The buildings ranged from old to new. I was in awe of it all, it surprised me too see the old buildings actually had newer shops inside of them.

 We don't get this in my small town of Leroy. Leroy, Texas is the type of place where no one really leaves nor is anyone really happy with their lives. It's not a terrible place to live, but the town likes to suck you in. The crimes low and we really are just like a huge family. In Leroy nothing is kept a secret, when mom and I first moved there, I thought all hell was gonna break loose with the gossip of us. 

When the driver came to a stop my eyes were pulled into a tall building with windows that looked like they could reach the sky, I mean this place was at least 50 floors high.

"This is where you live?" I said trying too hide how impressed I was. 

My dad beamed up at me and nodded his head, he knew I was impressed. My dad left my mom when I was quite literally a new born. My mom made sure I had the best life I could. She worked 2 jobs most of my life.  I always wondered why he abandoned his only child and his girlfriend at the time. When ever asked about it I always got the run around from my mom, and I never had the courage too reach out to my dad.

This year things had finally changed for the better actually. She got a job in real estate, and was gone often, I didn't mind it the neighbors checked on me a lot. I mean at 17 I was about too move out on my own anyways. I always had anything I needed growing up, a full fridge, a roof over my head and clothing. It wasn't the lavish life but it was the happy life.

I followed my dad through the doors of the building, and my jaw dropped. The inside had a older look but had gold accents all over, and the white marble floors were sparkling, there was these giant white pillars along the walls. I literally had to pick my feet off the ground, because I was so distracted by the beautiful building.

In the elevator my dad pushed the 50th floor button, and with a click we were off. Now I still wont say if but after seeing the lobby I'm officially impressed, maybe this summer won't be too bad.