I entered the train and wandered down looking for a compartment.  I was one of the earlier arrivals, so I don't bother to look for any of my friends.  Merlin knows they had never been early for anything in their lives.  Us Hufflepuffs were good at finding everything but the time to be punctual.

I entered an empty compartment and shove my backpack on the overhead rack.  I might as well try to get a bit of a nap in before the rest of the students arrived.  I leaned my head against the cool glass of the window and close my eyes.  I thought about my family, probably halfway to the airport right now.  I really hoped that this would keep them safe.

After a few minutes, the noise of the compartment door sliding open pulled me out of my dream.

"Oh, sorry.  Didn't see you there."  A young man stood there awkwardly, hesitating.

"Hi.  Do you want to sit?"  I raised an eyebrow.

"Would that be alright?  I don't want to bother you."  He took a half a step into the compartment before hesitating again.

"It's too late for that.  You've already woken me up, so you might as well sit."  I pointed to the bench across from mine.  His cheeks reddened as he hoisted his luggage onto the rack.

"I'm Remus."  He grunted as he lifted his trunk.  

"Tessa."  I gave him my name.  "How come I don't know you from class?"  He looked to be an older student, and I wasn't sure how I would have missed a handsome face like that.

"I graduated a couple of years ago actually.  I'm here for work."  He dropped into the seat across from me, panting a bit from exertion.  

"I suppose that would explain it."  I pulled out a book from my cardigan pocket and began to read.  I managed to make it about three lines before he interrupted.

"What are you reading?"  He leaned forward a bit to try and peek at the cover.

"It's just an incantation pronunciation guide.  I have a bit of trouble with the longer ones."  I blushed, embarrassed by my struggles.

"Ah.  My copy is a bit more worn."  He grinned after reading the title.  "I carried it around everywhere fourth through seventh year."

"Really?"  I felt a little bit better than I wasn't the only one.

"Absolutely.  It's a great source of reference."  He pulled out a book of his own.  Werewolf colonies of Northern Europe.  Strange choice, but maybe he just liked to read a bit of everything.  Silence fell as we both read, barely noticing others boarding down the corridor.

Right before the train was set to depart, a girl burst into the compartment, flushed and out of breath.

"It took me forever to find you!  Why didn't you wait for me?"  Jeni, my long time best friend huffed as she plopped down beside me.  "And who is this?"

"This is Remus."  I realized I don't know his last name, but I guessed it wasn't really a necessary piece of information.  I was curious though.  "Remus this is Jeni."

"Pleasure."  He held out a hand for her to shake.

"Same," she raised an eyebrow, but shook his hand before turning back to me.  "You still didn't answer my first question."

"I got here really early.  Because my family had a plane to catch.  I wasn't going to wait on the uncomfortable benches on the platform instead of the nice comfy ones in here.  Sorry it was so hard to find me."  I gave her a sweet smile, and she quickly returned it.

"Fine.  But at least help me with my stuff."  She gestured behind her to her mound of things.  Remus stood to help, but we convinced him we got it.  He seemed unsure, but did as he was told.  We got her things properly stored and cozied up on our seat with one of her big fluffy blankets.