Chapter 63: The Investigation

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Din perks up at his words. "Ugnaughts?" he echoes.

The officer nods. "Ugnaughts."

Astra meets Din's visor once again and she offers him an encouraging smile. "Ugnaughts," she says.

"Am I missing something?" Bo-Katan asks, her brow furrowed at the two of them.

"It's a long story," Astra answers. She gestures towards the turbolift. "We should get going."

The group makes their way to the turbolift and remains silent as they step inside and begin their descent to the lower level. Astra watches each level pass them by with her arms crossed over her cuirass. She glances at Din, but his visor remains forward, his gloved hands folded over his belt. Her heart aches for him; He's not one to deny a friend a favor, but there are many internal wounds of his that this job is threatening to tear back open. Between the battle droids and a visit with Ugnaughts like Kuiil, Astra's not sure how much he'll be able to take.

That's why Astra's surprised when it's Din's voice that splits the silence. "See what happens when you rely on droids?"

Bo-Katan raises her brow. "Are you taking this personally?"

"Well..." Astra starts, exhaling a worried breath.

"Just pointing it out," Din insists before Astra can go on. He still doesn't look at either one of them.

"Let's just finish this so we can be on our way," Bo says.

"Agreed," Astra adds. The corners of her lips pull tight as she watches the turbolift settle on the lower level. "The quicker, the better."

The turbolift stops and Bo-Katan leads the way out. The large workshop is dim, aside from the bright sparks that shower down from where the Ugnaughts are doing their work. Din stiffens at Astra's side and she doesn't have to ask why. There's already two B2-series battle droids facing them, and though they're clearly powered off, their image alone is haunting enough for someone with trauma like Din's. Astra looks at him and resists the urge to pull him away from the sight.

"I am Bo-Katan Kryze," Bo announces to the room of Ugnaughts. "Which one of you is in charge?"

Her words reap no response. The Ugnaughts continue to work, some on their own and some in collaboration. Astra notices Din's visor remaining on the one who's currently fixing up one of the battle droids.

"We were sent on behalf of the Duchess and Captain Bombardier to help you with your droid problem," Bo goes on, despite their silence.

Her words still yield no response, though she's at least gotten Din to move, his helmet now turned towards the Mandalorian heiress. Astra's gaze follows his until it's drawn down to the gloved hand of his that brushes against her own. She's gentle in taking his hand in her grasp, but once their fingers are entwined, his grip on her tightens.

"Hello?" Bo-Katan barely resists the urge to sigh as she lowers her voice for just Din and Astra to hear. "This is going nowhere."

Astra and Din share a look while she considers using her own attempt at diplomacy. Instead, he gives her hand a squeeze and drops it as he tries his hand at addressing the room. "I am Mandalorian Din Djarin," Din introduces himself, "friend of Ugnaught Kuiil."

Astra's lips part in surprise at Din's easy mention of their old fallen friend. The Ugnaughts offer a similar response, their heads rising from their work as they halt it altogether.

"You will answer our questions and help us with our task," Din continues. "I have spoken."

The Ugnaughts glance at each other and nod. They remain silent even as they move, stepping down from their ladders and other workspaces to gather at one of the wooden tables. Din leads the way over to them, letting Astra take her place between him and Bo-Katan and across from the Ugnaughts. Astra's arm brushes against Din's as she looks up at him and whispers words meant just for him. "Do you think they actually knew Kuiil?"