Chapter Nine

It had been three days since Henry had been ill. His aunt had never left his bedside. His fever was just beginning to break. It was hard to sleep at night. Just like tonight. Anna haunted his dreams. Sometimes he woke up with a fever, calling her name. This morning, feeling a little better, he wanted to open his window and look out. He remembered every moment he had shared with her and felt even sicker at the prospect of losing her. His whole being wished to be with her. To know that he hadn't lost her. To know that they had a chance. But his fears had been so overwhelming that all this time Henry had been without Anna.

Now that his father was forgetting everyone and everything, Henry stopped to think. He didn't want to be forgotten by Anna Keighley. He had a chance—a chance to exist in her memory. He had always looked at her from a distance. Even when they were next to each other, he had never been able to overcome that distance and never believed he was worthy of her. Just when he had wanted to take a step towards his fears, he had been held back by the possibility that Anna might not love him. Anything could happen to the two of them, but Henry Acklam was sure he would carry Anna Keighley in his memories forever.

"Are you awake?"

Henry sat up a little in his bed as Blake came in. "Yes."

Blake pulled out the chair in front of the desk, put it next to his bed, and sat down. "I could not sleep."

Henry could see he was distressed. "What is wrong?"

Blake shrugged. "The usual."

Henry scanned his face some more. His brother's brown hair was falling in front of him. But Henry could still see the uneasiness in his eyes. His arms were folded across his chest. He was sitting nervously in the chair.

"How are you coping with all this?"

Henry's jaw twitched. It wasn't a good idea to tell his brother how hard he was struggling.

"I am your big brother; that is my priority."

Blake glared at him. "You are being evasive."

Henry laughed to dismiss it. "You are asking questions that I will give you answers to."

Blake laughed at his answer. "There is a girl,"

Henry opened his eyes wide. He hadn't expected this. "Do I know her?"

Blake shook his head up and down. "Lily," he said softly.

Henry froze for a moment. "L-Lily? Lily Binham?"

Blake shook her head desperately. He rested his elbows on his knees and cradled his head in his hands. Then he rubbed his face and sat up. "I do not know what to do."

Henry didn't know either. His brother, Blake, had fallen in love with Noah's brother. His brother had fallen in love with his best friend's brother. "What about her?" That was the first thing that came to Henry's mind. If Lily loved her brother, then Henry was ready to do whatever he could for them.

Blake's eyes focused on a distant point. His lips slowly curled upward. The hopeless expression on his face was replaced by a bright one. He nodded. "We love each other."

Henry couldn't help but laugh. His little brother was in love. "Blake..." His smile widened. "That's great, brother."

"Yes, yes it is." Blake looked at his older brother with a wide smile. "I needed you to back me up."

"Of course I will," Henry told him in a brotherly way.

Blake's gaze was uneasy again. "Well, Noah?"

Henry smiled. "Noah loves you very much. I am sure he will be very happy for you." Then he added, "Do not get to the point too fast, though. You know you have a habit of..."