Chapter 4: Obligations and negotiations

Start from the beginning

"Ohoho, of course I do, every single detail," Caiphus responded to Charlie, winking at her flirtatiously. "I replayed the whole thing in my head every day..."

"All the nasty stuff you did to her against her will, huh?" Vaggie sputtered, balling her hand into a fist.

"Against her will?" He laughed loudly. "Not a chance. In the end, she was begging for more... But, as I said, I just assumed that a wastrel like me was nothing more than temporary entertainment."

Vaggie reached for the spear again.
Charlie closed her eyes and rubbed her temples. "Babe, please..."

Vaggie pulled her hand back reluctantly, giving the hellhound a disgusted look, to which he just grinned triumphantly.

Charlie sighed, tired. It was getting a little too much for her. First Pentious, now this. She hoped there would be no more surprises for her today. As she reached for the bowl and took another cherry, Caiphus, smiling, stole the red fruit from her hand and popped it into his mouth.

"I hope he takes after me," he remarked, chewing loudly on the stolen cherry.
Charlie was still taken aback by what just happened. "I'm sorry?" She asked vacantly.

"I hope it's a boy. Preferably a hellhound like me," he motioned his head towards Charlie's pregnant belly. "I assume I'll be entitled to the throne as your husband when we get married, right? And every good ruler needs an heir."

"When we get married?" Charlie repeated in surprise.

Vaggie jumped to her feet, a wave of anger washing over her. "And why exactly should she marry you? Just because you made her a baby?" She snapped at Caiphus, leaning over the table between them.

Caiphus rose from his chair and leaned across from her, leaving just a little space between their faces. "Because her father made it clear to me that having a child out of wedlock is a disgrace?" He retorted mockingly. "You wouldn't dare to disobey the king's orders, would you? Plus, just look at it through the eyes of ordinary demons. The princess of Hell and her ordinary subject, isn't that romantic? Love despite prejudice..."

Charlie raised her hand in a conciliatory gesture trying to defuse the situation before the two of them pounced at each other. "A wedding won't be necessary, nor would I want it anyways," she frowned. "Don't take this the wrong way, Caiphus, but I have a girlfriend I love," she smiled at Vaggie before continuing. "What happened between us was unfortunate, but I am sure we can find a different solution to satisfy everyone."

Caiphus raised his hands to indicate he didn't share the same opinion on the matter but would not argue.

"So, where will my room be?" He asked cheerfully, his eyes still locked on Vaggie.

Vaggie's eyebrows shot up sharply. "You cannot possibly be planning to stay here?"
"You bet I am! I need to be close to my son, right?"
"Or daughter," Charlie added softly.

Vaggie threw up her arms in despair. "Charlie! You agree with that?!"

"Of course! If he wants to be involved in our child's life, he has every right to do so. The hotel has a lot of free space, and it might be quite a practical solution, actually." Charlie got up from her armchair and waved Caiphus towards the door. "There are several vacant rooms on our floor; you can choose one."

Vaggie sighed, frustrated, and headed for the door, Caiphus following a few steps behind her, smiling triumphantly, confident that if he won now, he could dare to ask for more in the future.

Vaggie grabbed the doorknob and turned to Charlie, who was still standing there with a blank look on her face and didn't seem like she was about to follow them. "Hun, what are you thinking about?"