Chapter 20: Watatsumi Priestess

Start from the beginning

Y/N: "A pair of travellers...? I don't suppose one of these travellers is a small floating... person, are they?"

Ayaka: "Oh! So you do know them then! Are you perhaps already acquainted with them?"

Y/N: "I am, yes. We met a couple of times, back in Liyue. But I wouldn't say that we were particularly close or anything, I'd hardly refer to us as friends at the very least..."

Ayaka: "Oh, I see... Do you perhaps know, at least, whether the stories about them are true? Of their defeating a Dragon in Mondstadt, and of their valour during the siege of Liyue Harbour?"

Y/N: "Mondstadt's Dragon issue, I remember hearing a little bit about that. But I never heard who or how it was dealt with, just the general gossip that it had been dealt with. As for Liyue Harbour? They were there, yeah. They fought alongside the Yuheng and her fellow soldiers to repel the invading Fatui despite being under fire of that evil God's attacks."

Ayaka: "Indeed? Oh, that is quite good to hear, especially from you."

Y/N: "... Why are you asking about them?"

Ayaka: "Well, we have reason to believe that their next stop upon their journey will be Inazuma. And we believe that, even despite the lockdown of our nation, that they will find a way here. That is why I sent Thoma away to Ritou, so as to build up a reputation there so as to help them out as best we can upon arrival. Unfortunately foreigners are taken advantage of quite heavily by our Inazuman ilk."

Y/N: "Heh. Tell me about it!"

Ayaka: "... s–sorry."

Y/N: "Ah... w–Well, I'm not saying that in hopes of upsetting you or anything. That's just... well, I guess it's me trying to make light of it somewhat. A zeitgeist like that is no good sitting in the hearts of us both after all."

Ayaka: "Oh, I see! So by telling jokes in such a manner is a way for us to move beyond all that, interesting..."

Y/N: "Right. It's a way to ease tensions between friends who are still recovering from a fight. And, well, I think we could probably consider this to have been a fight, no...?"

Ayaka: "Hmm... Personally, I would rather not think of it as such, but I suppose you do have a point. But please, rest assured, I do not intend to ever fail you like that again."

Y/N: "I... I appreciate that, I suppose, but that... well, I feel like that would be a bit superficial, no? To actively go out of your way to avoid any confrontation would be to not reveal onto me your true self. Sometimes friends fight, and I would rather fight with a real friend than to be in a consistent relationship with somebody who is not being their true self."

Ayaka: "Huh. That is... quite different to what I am used to. As a member of the Kamisato Clan, I oft deal with people in rather cutthroat dealings. And in such encounters it is very rare that anybody dons their true colours, as everyone is attempting to sweeten their own deals. But, yes, I suppose I can see what you mean. I... I will take what you said into advisement going forwards."

???: *yawn* "Oh! Miss Ayaka! I wasn't taking a nap, I promise! I was just on my way to deliver these to you."

"