A study in Scarlet Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

  "Do you remember our first case?"

   "Do I have to?"

     You scuff at him, shaking your head. "Yes, but this is not the time to talk about it. Right now it has to do with the connections of our first case."

    Shinichi clears his throat. "Yes, but did you ever feel something in our first encounter?"

   Your mind starts to burn as you tilt your head to the side and try to remember, but ultimately nothing comes out of it, as if you're rejecting it. However, there is something warm about at the conclusion. You shook your head, too worn out to give it any serious thought.

    "No."

      After giving you a quick nod, Shinichi began analyzing it. He had intended to be there for you, but it felt like a failure since if you were still in this condition, he shouldn't have dragged you out of your apartment. In the days since the incident, he has been attempting to stop worrying about it. He has repeatedly texted you in an attempt to get you to react to another case, but you have ignored him. He'd usually be preoccupied with the cases and heists of Kaito Kid's to keep his mind off of them.

   In an effort to get those remarks out of your mouth on the first day of your case with him, he also tried to vary the way he dressed from the typical gear he wore. You didn't say it for a year, and now he wants to hear it from you once more to show that you are truly his soul mate and that he should have stopped doubting himself whenever he had the thought.

    He might have been foolish or simply dreaming. Maybe it was just a memory that only he possesses that was playing in his mind palace. Maybe he was so dim to not comprehend in the first place that he just waited for you to get back on track.

    He felt guilty for thinking early that he was a bad partner for simply not being there for you. He shouldn't have thought of that because his effort in trying will be wasted in the end.

     It'll go back to the way it was before. Just you and him, same relationship as ever.

    You on the other hand fix your gaze on the back of his head. You run your palm across your face, trying to recollect today.  Shinichi tried to cheer you up, inquired about his blog, and repeatedly messaged you to see if there was anything that could get you out of your terrible trauama-recovered state.

    You should have appreciated his effort instead of being nasty to him, as you know deep down. Although it may have been your responsibility to take a break in the first place, you decided to shut off whatever had previously triggered you. Despite knowing you for a year, Shinichi still doesn't fully understand who you are.

   Shinchi may have been attempting to recall something about you from the first time you were with him, but whatever it was, all Omegas are familiar with that emotion.

  You sigh. Perhaps there is a way to get your responses as he recalls them. Maybe there is an answer to why there is such a warm feeling, whatever you think about it.

-

  "So, um, here's the brief case."

     The second beer you were about to drink tumbled over the table and down to the floor, rolling across you with its liquefied splatter that stopped at the end of your table. Shinichi had dropped the briefcase in front of your table.

   "Shit you found it already?" The dead woman's possessions, some of which were very valuable to her, were inside the case, which you quickly opened. However, all your attention was on the primary cause of her death, which you and Shinichi had been figuring out yesterday. "That was fast."

    Shinichi taps his finger tips on the side of his head. "Well, it's easy to guess; look, she died and there are no belongings. Someone might have stolen them, and judging from her state, she's awfully clean. I judge that she might have been in that house for hours and no one had noticed it. Funny how in her records she came here in Japan alone and booked a house for her stay, which led to her tragic death."