A study in Scarlet Pt. 1

"I hope I did not anger you on this early hour."

   Shinichi had dragged you out to your apartment at four in the fucking morning, and you sighed in irritation during the entire vehicle ride as he babbled on. Trying to read Shinichi's regular blog updates on what you missed while away, you squinted your eyes at your phone's bright screen.

   After the incident, you didn't think twice about asking for a break to gather yourself before the trauma from your past resurfaced. Except for receiving meal delivery, you hadn't actually left your flat lately. You lacked the drive to pursue your goals, avoided many encounters with everyone you knew, slept for hours on end, woke up sweating and anxious, panicked, and soon sobbed in an unsightly manner that you wished you could never dream of.

    You tried to find solace in anything that was not a trauama experience—in anything that made you feel at peace with the world and with yourself. But because you had trouble forgetting things, despite having strong memories of nice sentiments that once struck you, you wished they would happen again because they were such wonderful feelings. Instead, you chastised yourself for being forgetful.

  You are aware that shooting the man in the head three times wasn't your fault. Saving your partner's life was the only option you had. It was uncomfortable and made you want to throw up again in the bathroom. Although it is difficult to be a cop and detective, you had no option because it paid better than your other jobs.

   It was the first time Shinichi had seen you in this state; you weren't like the you he was used to seeing. He felt hollow, but not in the way that you might imagine; rather, he felt far more empty and distant, as if he had chosen to isolate himself from the outside world. It was his first time feeling that you were avoiding him after being your partner for a year.

    Even though there have been instances when you have avoided him for particular reasons, not this time. For not being there for you—or rather, for trying to be now—Shinichi felt like a terrible partner.

    After sending you several SMS but receiving no response, he successfully dragged you out of your flat. The Alpha was unable to control his anxiety, so before he could observe your reactions, he purposefully dragged you away like a mother took her whining child out of the desired targeted aisle.

  "Anything interested you found in my blog?" Shinichi asks, side-glancing at you from time to time. "Something that surprised you?"

   After shifting the subject from time to time, you squinted your eyes at him while pinching your nose's bridge and inhaling deeply. You read his blog that suprised you:

  "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

   Shinichi sheepishly smiled at the quote he had posted three days ago. You tucked your phone out, with your arms hugging your legs against your chest, he shuts his mouth.

    The vehicle quickly arrives at its destination. With flashing police lights, yellow tape, and other detectives on the scene, you exited the automobile and hurried as swiftly as you could to the house. You pushed people out of your path to find a woman in a pink coat slumped on the floor. There was no sign of blood or a murderous object; just a mysterious death.

  Oh no fucking way.

    "Same case as when we first started." You jumped at Shinichi, whispering in your ear. "Different woman, but in the same pink. A connections to our first case."

    Shinichi knelt in front of the corpse and turned to face you while wearing surgical gloves instead of his previous black gloves that he had tucked away in his trench coat.