Chapter 8: Thanks for Last Night

Kristy

The next day, approximately one week since I took Logan a peace offering, I close up the café and leave with the unsold muffins and cake. The weather isn't as pleasant as last Sunday, but the chill in the wind doesn't bother me much as I make my way home in my uniform and cardigan.

Logan isn't working outside his house today, probably due to the poor weather. If I want to talk to him, I'll have to knock on his door. However, when I reach his house and hear the loud noise coming from inside, I hesitate. He won't be able to hear me if I knock.

Despite having walked into Logan's house uninvited before, I'm hesitant to do it again. Last time, fatigue and anger fuelled me, but now I'm guided by the manners my parents instilled in me.

Looking down at the paper bag in my hands and then back at his front door, I convince myself that it's just a short interruption and that Logan won't mind. Taking a deep breath, I knock loudly and open the door. "Hello," I call out, though I know he likely won't hear me.

The construction noise and blaring music make it hard to hear anything, including my own thoughts. Since there's no one in the large foyer where I found Logan working last time, I follow the sound of the music to the lounge room. Inside, I find one of the guys Logan introduced me to yesterday—Kyle, I believe—on his hands and knees, pulling up the carpet.

Kyle, with his short spiky black hair and tattoos up his arm, looks like a frontman of a band. He's undoubtedly good looking, but he doesn't make my pulse race like Logan does.

"Hey," I yell to Kyle, waving when he sees me.

His face lights up. "Hey, neighbour! What's happening?"

Holding up the paper bag, I explain, "I owe Logan a thank you."

While I probably don't need to give Logan anything for getting rid of Simon, and I doubt he expects it, I feel it's the neighbourly thing to do. I'd do the same for anyone else. And if I try to drop off the food and leave, I'll look strange. That's something I'm tempted to do, given the curious way Kyle is looking at me.

"What did he do?" Kyle asks.

"You could say he rescued me from an unwanted visitor."

"Cool." His expression becomes even more open and curious, and I feel myself blush. "I guess I'll show you where he is then."

"You know, you could just pass them on for me," I suggest quickly. "I don't need to disturb him."

I'm regretting my decision to come inside. I probably could have left the bag on Logan's doorstep with a note, or found the kitchen and left the bag on the counter for him to find later. There was no need to interrupt Logan and Kyle's work just to announce that I brought muffins.

"Nonsense," Kyle insists. "I'm happy to disturb Logan. The man works too damn hard. Besides, how am I supposed to ask him for a muffin without interrupting him?"

His wink and smile ease my worries a bit, and I follow him as he leads me down a short wide hallway and into the bathroom, where Logan is smashing up bathroom tiles.

"Yo, Jacobs, we've got company," Kyle announces.

Logan frowns upon seeing me, pushing his goggles up to rest on top of his head as he leans on the sledgehammer he's been using.

Even with a frown, he still looks far too good in his black sweatpants hanging low on his hips and his grey sweat-soaked t-shirt clinging to his chiselled chest.

"Is the noise bothering you again?" he asks, assuming I'm there to complain about it.

"No, I, uh, just wanted to say thanks again for last night."