20

Princess Maella of House Targaryen is born on a night cold and dreadful. A storm rages on through the isle of Dragonstone, covering everything in rain as the thunder booms all around. Saerra's cries are heard all throughout the castle as they echo from the stone. Her labors are long and painful with no end in sight.

It brings great fear to Rhaenyra and Daemon, who have both lost a loved one to the hardships of labor. Regardless of what the maesters say, they will do whatever they can to save Saerra. A babe can be reproduced, but Saerra is only one of a kind.

Saerra endures nearly an entire day of labors before her second daughter takes her first breath and is placed on her breast. Her tears are a mixture of pain and relief, love and exhaustion. Saerr kisses the babe atop her head, but can barely keep her eyes open.

Daemon and Rhaenyra are right there with her, the Prince removes the babe to clean her off and put her to bed, whilst the Princess uses a cloth to dab Saerra's wet and sticky skin. Saerra finds sleep fairly quickly after her labor, leaving the Princess and Prince to coddle and coo at the newborn babe.

Maella is now the third true-born child between the three of them, and later becomes a big sister once Rhaenyra births Aegon and Viserys.

And for a moment, just for a small and fleeting moment... everything is perfect. Everything is exactly as it should be. Everyone is happy. Love is in the air and there is a peace within the realm.

But the day Lord Corlys takes a dire wound on the battlefield changes everything.

Saerra refuses to admit how glad she would be if the Lord of the Tides were to die of his wounds and never return, but that would only put her little sunshine in harm's way. Lucerys stands to inherit Driftmark, and though the truth is not spoken, it is well known by now. Ser Vaemond Velaryon wishes to challenge the boy for the Driftwood throne, creating a sense of panic in the long-lasting piece.

The Salt woman watches the young Prince Lucerys Velaryon play with his step-sisters. At the water's edge, the Prince makes them laugh and giggle as they collect sea shells and splash each other with water.

The differences between the sisters is quite clear. Haeyle's hair is dark and curled and eyes that hold secrets. Maella's hair is white as snow and skin that matched her mother's.

They run around the stone and sandy beach with not a care in the world, giving Saerra a reason to smile as Jacerys approaches his stepmother.

" It's almost time," He announces with his arms folded behind his back.

" Nearly," Saerra corrects, " They are not finished."

" We cannot miss the ship," Jacerys interjects.

" The ships leave when we say they leave," She softly yet sternly counters, her gaze still fixated on her children, " Let them keep playing."

The boy curtly nods, keeping his hands behind his back and standing up straight as he too looks over to watch his brother play with the children.

" Look at how happy they are," Saerra smiles as Maella squeals in delight from being splashed, " How are the little ones?"

" They won't stop crying," Jace sighs.

" They are young," She adds, " It will only get worse."

The boy scoffs.

" I know it's my duty... but must I really have one?" He asks.

" Unfortunately, dear boy," Saerra admits with a groan as she stands up, " Though, fortunately, you will not be the one to take care of the babes."

She gently pats Jace on his arm, before she begins walking over to her children, of whom immediately run for their mother as soon as they see her.