6

With the new heir being named, Daemon wants nothing more than to escape the confines of the Red Keep, and fly off to his ancestral homeland of Dragonstone. He was going to do it alone till he accidentally ran into the bastard girl on the way to the dragon pit. They bump shoulders, which prompts Saerra to apologize profusely whilst Daemon remains silent and just watches her. His gaze makes her uncomfortable, yet she is unable to look away. She keeps her eyes locked on his as his exterior shows nothing but a cold and calculated shell.

" Follow me."

Saerra listens to the Prince's words without a second thought. She follows him down the dusty trail to the depths of the pit, where she's met with his red beast.

Caraxes.

She's frozen in fear at the sight of the Blood Wyrm. Her feet are planted onto the ground as the dragon steps forward and rumbles the ground beneath his claw. Daemon tends to his dragon, where he gently pets the red scales to soothe the brute as his hair gets blown back with a huff.

" Come."

Saerra hesitantly approaches. Everything inside her tells her to run far away and never return to this hellish place, but his voice is just so soothing. She can't say no. As she gets close enough, Daemon grabs her hand and brings it to Caraxes's snout, where she nearly leaps out of her skin as she feels the rough scales against her palm. Saerra brings her eyes up to see Daemon watching intently, and as her heartbeat settles, the beast beneath her palm calms as well. The way his eyes sparkle against the sun brings her a sense of peace, despite standing in front of a giant dragon.

The Prince grabs her hand, thus guiding her on top of Caraxes, where she sits in the saddle with his back pressed against her chest. She feels her heart beat wildly in her stomach as her cheeks heat up, and is nowhere prepared as the dragon begins to flap its wings and fly up into the skies. Saerra's legs clench, using every muscle and all her strength as her hands clasp onto the saddle till her knuckles turn white.

" Relax."

Daemon is not one for comforting words, and he provides her no solace as Saerra's eyes close in pure terror as the wind beats against her face. Her braided hair flops against Daemon's face. Her hair tickles his chin as he controls the rageful beast till he sees the isle on the horizon. Caraxes lands on the green grass, where Saerra is still shaking in the saddle with her eyes shut tightly.

" You can open your eyes," Daemon utters as he removes himself from the saddle.

Saerra's eyes open gradually, taking her time to blink and adjust to the bright light, where her mind has not yet come to terms with her new surroundings until her feet are back on the ground

" Where are we?"

" Dragonstone."

The Prince saunters off without another word, leaving Saerra frozen with a sour taste in her mouth as the fear and dread settles in, of which is amplified by the beast nasally roaring behind her. Saerra jumps, heart thumping as her eyes scan for the Prince so she may follow to get some answers.