It had been the most destructive, cripplingly painful feeling I'd ever felt and I just knew that it wasn't fair to him or me, to put either of us in that situation again. To visit, just to leave, just to walk out the front door, leaving him behind and in even more distress than when I'd arrived, was wrong.

That had been two months ago and now, the time to take him home had finally come.

I'd been medically cleared by my doctors to run around after my toddler again. Though my chest still ached when I exerted myself too much and my left arm still felt tight because of the surgery, those aches and pains would fade in time and were no longer a great concern.

Renee had been sentenced to prison for her part in the kidnapping and shooting and no longer had full custody over Ollie, who now solely belonged to me. She wouldn't have any place in our lives anymore, and the burden of her abusive ways had been eradicated from our world - at least for the next twenty years.

Gina Porter had been working double and I'd been paying her double to get the process of custody moved along and finally, after months that felt like excruciating years, I was allowed to bring my baby boy back home.

Jae and I remained in contemplative, nervous, anticipatory silence until I finally pulled into my parent's driveway and parked. I took a deep breath for courage and strength, sucking air into my lungs through my nose. My stomach was in knotts.

"We got this. Let's go get our son, Ezzy," Jae grinned and those two freaking words, 'our son' immediately overturned my entire world. Everything was going to be okay.

I leaned over and tugged him into me by his sweater, pressing my lips against his in an intense surge of love and affection. He kissed me back, our tongues dancing briefly in tandem as we shared a moment of passion and devotion.

Jae swiped his tongue across my bottom lip teasingly as he pulled back. "I love you."

"I love you too."

We climbed out of the car, and I took Jae's hand as we walked up the porch and knocked on the front door of the ridiculously grandiose mansion. After a minute of waiting, the door swung open, revealing my mother's sharp features and weathered face.

Her dark brown hair was pulled back in its usual, tight bun style and her expression was hard. She licked her red stained lips as she pulled the door open. "Ezra," she greeted, saying my name as though it tasted foul on her tongue.

"Mom," I nodded jerkily, following her inside. Luckily for me, it seemed she didn't have anything else to say to either of us and I was grateful. I wanted to focus on Ollie and get the hell out of here.

There was a pile of bags in the entryway, and a small huddle of Ollie's favourite toys. "I'll put these in the car," Jae offered, letting go of my hand to pick up the diaper bag closest to him. "You go on."

I nodded, leaving him to carry the bags out as I followed my mother into the living room.

My breath caught in my throat the moment my gaze landed on Ollie. He'd lost weight. His soft, baby chub had withered away, making him look older than he really was, slim and petite. His blonde curls had been cut into a fade down to his neck, further ageing him and I immediately felt myself grieving his adorable, messy halo of hair.

He was wearing a blue polo shirt and little white shorts, his small feet hugged in white, frilly socks. He was holding his stuffed bunny in his lap, cheek pressed into the pillow. His eyes were on the TV, but he didn't look excited or engaged in the kid's cartoon showing on the big screen.

I rounded the couch slowly, coming around in front of him, battling the lump in my throat, squeezing the air from my lungs. I crouched before him, reaching out to touch his bare arm.