"You're depressed," he says.

My eyes meet his again, "Yes, I think I am."

"That's to be expected after going through a traumatic event. It's only been two weeks since your kidnapping."

"This has been going on since before I left Texas," I say quietly.

"Have you told anyone?"

"No, why would I? It's not a big deal," I reply.

He shakes his head, mumbling something under his breath.

"Sometimes talking about it helps."

I shrug my shoulders, "I'd rather not talk about it at all."

"Enola says you two have picked up a few cases recently."

He's changing the subject, I can't help but smile gratefully.

"Yes, although she says I'm not allowed to work until this Thursday."

He nods, "She's a very worrisome person."

"Yes, but I'm very thankful to have met her," I pause for a moment, his eyes watch me carefully, "and her drunken brother as well."

He looks at me with wide eyes before regaining his composure. "I'm thankful to have met her stubborn partner."

I can't help but smile at his words, this man will always have such a strong effect over me.

The front door opens and in walks a very annoyed Dr. Watson. "Have you ever seen such a miserable day? I slipped five times coming up the stairs just now!"

I cover my mouth, trying to quiet my laugh, but it doesn't work.

"Are you laughing at me?"

He looks at Sherlock, "She's laughing at me!"

"How could I not?" I ask, laughing.

Sherlock smiles, it's not a smirk, nor is it a flash of a smile. It's a true smile, one that lasts long enough to cause me to smile as well.

Sherlock suddenly stands up, I watch him curiously as he walks around the room. It seems that he's looking for something, or maybe he's just trying to distract himself.

He sits at his desk and begins to write. What on Earth is this man doing?

I leave the chair and walk over to stand beside him. My eyes scan the papers in front of him, they must be from a new case.

"What's your new case about?"

He jumps, as though he didn't realize I had been standing next to him. I can't help but smirk, it's not very often that you get to scare Sherlock Holmes.

"This isn't a new case, these are about Marcus," he says.

My blood runs cold at the name, but I ignore the fear.

"What about him?"

Sherlock eyes me cautiously, "I'm trying to figure out why he was after you."

I pull an empty chair up next to Sherlock and look over his notes. "He said he was using me to get to you, but he never said what it was you did to him."

I grab a paper from the messy desk and read it. It's a psych evaluation that I'm guessing Sherlock did on Marcus.

"Bipolar?" I ask.

Sherlock leans back in his chair, "That's what I concluded."

Bipolar seems accurate, but I remember the moments Marcus would yell at the wall. It was as though he was talking to someone that I couldn't see.

"I think he also might have schizophrenia."

I quickly shake my head, "Sorry, I'm not trying to overstep my boundaries."

"No, I think you're right. I just can't believe I didn't notice," he says, staring down at his papers.

"He would yell sometimes, like he was talking to someone. He kept repeating the name 'Martha'."

Sherlock freezes, his hands tighten around the paper until it rips. He doesn't seem to notice though, his eyes are focused on the wall in front of him.

I'm not sure what to do in this situation, so I rest my hand on his. "Sherlock?"

He drops the papers and looks back at me, his eyes are distant.

"It's getting late, I should take you home," he says, standing up to grab his coat.

I follow him outside, his shoulders are still tense, and his hands are balled into tight fists. Who is Martha, and what happened?

Our walk is silent, until we make it to my house.

"Thank you," I say softly.

He nods in response and turns to walk away.

"Don't worry yourself over the case, make sure you get some rest, Mr. Holmes."

He looks back at me, a small smile on his face. "I will."

"I mean it, Sherlock. I'll be dropping by tomorrow to check on you," I say, pointing a finger at him.

He walks back to me, causing me to back up in surprise.

Sherlock adjusts my coat, it's an odd thing to do, but I say nothing.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

I nod slowly and watch as he walks down the street, turning the corner.

He'll spend all his time trying to figure out the Marcus case, I'm worried but I know this is just his way of doing things. I just hope he'll be okay.

This update is for the people with daddy issues. Dads are shitty, but I hope you all have an amazing day ♡