31 | inebriate

🏁

◢◤◢◤◢◤ Circuit 31 ◢◤◢◤◢◤

I sat in the kitchen with Russell, surrounded by an uncomfortable silence that hung heavily between us

I really did just come for a drink, but also don't really wanna talk to anyone right now.

The turmoil within my heart left me grappling with unfamiliar emotions, unable to fully comprehend or articulate what I was truly feeling. It wasn't jealousy. No, this was something different, a nebulous entity that eluded my grasp. It's something, though. Not nothing.

We both knew I was keeping the details of my true rel- whatever was going on between Ola and me - to myself and thankfully, Russell respected my need for privacy. I had never been comfortable discussing myself, exposing the intricacies of my inner world to others. It was easier to keep things hidden, to wrap myself in a cloak of silence.

Leaning against the counter, Russell broke the silence, opting for some small talk to break the ice. "You should take it easy with the drink, you know," he advised, trying to fill the awkward void.

"It's harmless," I replied, trying to downplay the situation.

"Sure it is," he retorted sarcastically. "But your dad isn't, and you're a lightweight."

I pursed my lips embarrassingly, knowing deep down that he was right. "I need it, just let me be for once."

Russell sighed, his frustration evident. "Your dad hasn't taken his eyes off you since I got here. If he talks to my parents again, they'll cut my allowance for the hundredth time this month. It's not like I'm trying to put you on whatever shit I'm doing."

I ignored his last sentence with an annoyed click of my tongue. "That's not the only reason. We both know your addiction is what gets you into trouble. It's going to kill you faster than your recklessness."

"Okay, Mom," Russell scoffed, turning away. "I don't need another lecture from you."

He knew deep down that I was just concerned for him, as his best friend. I wanted nothing more than for him to live a long, healthy life. But Russell was stubborn and had a hard time listening to anyone.

"He won't do anything," I assured him after a moment, but he looked at me skeptically, clearly doubting my words.

To prove my point, I raised the half-full glass and poured the remaining contents down the sink. "There. Happy now? Now put out that cancer stick."

"I never promised anything," he grumbled but eventually complied with an annoyed sigh.

Throwing me a bottle of water, he muttered, "Wake yourself up."

I didn't make it difficult for him and quickly gulped it down, thirst quenched.

"About yesterday..." I started, wiping the remnants of water from the corner of my mouth. Russell's gaze focused on me, his eyes raised expectantly.