Five

The ceremonies ended rather quickly, since Asher’s name had been near the bottom of the list.

Asher had not said a single word to Amy and Pedro since his sentencing, and there was no doubt in Asher’s mind that Pedro and Amy were starting to get worried.

“All of the ceremonies are over!” called out the speaker on the stage. “You all are dismissed.”

In huge flocks, teens rushed to leave the building--Asher and his friends were close to being the last ones out.

“You don’t want to share what happened, do you?” Amy asked, trying to fall in sync with Asher's steps.

Asher avoided her gaze. He just simply told her, “It’ll tell you guys tomorrow…I’m just tired.”

“Alright. Well, see you guys,” Amy said as she headed down the sidewalk off in the direction of where she lived.

Asher tried to sneak away in the opposite direction, but Pedro grabbed his wrist, not letting him go.

“What happened in that room?” Pedro asked.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Asher muttered.

“Please, Asher, you know you can tell me anything.” Pedro gazed deeply into Asher’s eyes. He knew something was wrong with his friend-—he just knew. Pedro's hand glided down from Asher's wrist to rest in Asher's own hand. Pedro's thumb stroked the outer part of Asher's hand.

"Okay, Pedro. You wanna know what's wrong?Fine." Asher sighed, lowering his voice to a whisper. “I heard that my father killed a co-worker of his named Henry. My father has been detained in the capital’s prison, but, he’ll be released next week…but, when he is, I’ll be dead.”

Pedro breathed, his eyes wide with disbelief, “Oh no…” Pedro inhaled. "Asher, I-"

Asher yanked his hand out of Pedro’s grip, speed-walking down the sidewalk, not once looking back.