022. An Expedition For The Ages

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, can't I go to Helaena's room?" 

It was needlessly defensive. Vanya knew Maegor never meant any harm. 

"You can, but it means you probably won't come back," Maegor shrugged off the harsh tone, "I'll have to wander back to my bedroom then,"

Vanya frowned, having not considered Maegor, "You don't have to,"

"It's fine. This way, I can walk you some of the way to Helaena's room,"

Three cracks on the right wall, five on the left. 

Vanya paused, taking four steps back—six cracks on the left wall. There were only a few more steps to Helaena's room now. Only a few more steps in the darkness before the light of Helaena's room would be open to her. She tried to keep her eyes on the walls, not daring to glance into the abyss for fear that it would stare back at her with its ghosts and monsters- 

Vanya gave a short shout as a hand reached for her shoulder in the dark, causing her to fumble backwards.

"Princess, are you alright?" 

Ser Criston Cole was a looming presence in the darkness. 

"Apologises, Ser, I was wishing to speak to Helaena," 

"At this hour?"

The darkness surrounding Vanya wrapped around her shoulders, making her stumble forward towards the knight in fear.

"I had a nightmare," Vanya stared down at her bare feet, "I wish to speak to Helaena,"

The knight furrowed his brow but moved to the side to let the true-born princess through. The young child held little resemblance to her aunt and sported the true appearance of a dragon. Ser Criston Cole had found no reason to hate the child as of yet. 

Vanya quickly hurried past the knight, pushing the door open and entering the candle-lit room. Helaena's room was hardly ever cloaked in darkness as the princess had learnt how to sleep with the candles still on. It was something Vanya appreciated. 

"Helaena?" Vanya whispered, closing the door. 

A mumble and a lump under velvet green sheets moving was the response Vanya was offered. 

Helaena's bed was on the right-most end of the room, adorned in all the Hightower green possible. It was Helaena's room that looked least like a Targaryen's home, likely because it was the second-most common place Queen Alicent would spend her time. 

"Are you asleep?" 

There was a large pause as Vanya ringed her fingers before, finally, Helaena sat up in her bed. Helaena rubbed her eyes, moving over to the left side of her bed and beckoning Vanya over. 

Vanya was in Helaena's bed in a heartbeat, shoving the covers over her body as protection from the figures in the darkness.

"Did you see her again?" Helaena asked, lying down on her side to watch Vanya. 

Vanya only nodded, snuggling closer to Helaena for comfort. Helaena, having become increasingly accustomed to the nighttime ritual, brought Vanya closer to her and rubbed her back. 

"I'm glad you're back. It's not nice here without you," Helaena hummed. 

"It's never nice in Kings Landing," Vanya frowned before pausing, "But you make it better,"

Silence captured the duo, the candles dancing around for them, before finally, "Can you sing Hāros Bartoss for me?"

With that, the old Targaryen lullaby filled the room as the nightmare-plagued dragon drifted to sleep. 

Authors note: