Chapter Thirty Seven - The Consequences of My Poor Choices

Start from the beginning

I feel his warm hands on my face, and right as I lean into his touch he pulls back as though I've given him an electric shock.

"What's happening to her?" He asks my parents as my dad grabs his car keys and quickly rushes out of the room. My mom brings over a cold wet cloth, pressing it against my forehead.

"Cold!" I gasp, but my mom prevents me from jerking away.

"Marinette, we need to bring your fever down. Do not take this cloth off. Open your mouth." I reluctantly let my mom stick the thermometer under my tongue as she takes my temperature. "Her injury has gotten badly infected." My mom finally answers Adrien.

The thermometer beeps, making my mom shake her head disapprovingly. "104 degrees Fahrenheit. Thats bad. Adrien, please help me take Marinette out to the car."

Adrien goes to pick me up, but I stand on my own. I'm not dying, I'll be damned if I make them all worry about me any further. We'll go get my side treated, and then come home and go to sleep. We all deserve some peace and quiet. Especially Adrien and I.

I accept the arm that Adrien wraps around my waist, helping to guide me out of the bedroom. This would have been fine, had it not been for my legs that disagree with all of this.

My knees buckle, but before I can catch myself, my whole world goes black.

----------

The first thing I notice when I wake up is the stench of bleach, and the consistent beeping noise beside my head. The next thing I notice was the bright lights that penetrated through my eyelids, making me want to slap whoever created a lightbulb this bright.

When I begrudgingly pry my eyes open, I see the hospital room I'm in. My parents rush over immediately, and Adrien who was sitting beside my bed holding my hand straightens his spine in response.

Everyone starts speaking, the idea of order missing them completely. I can't help the laugh that ripples out of my sore throat.

My mom's wide eyes meet mine, and she runs her hands through her hair as though she's about to have a nervous breakdown. "Great! She's lost her mind. She's gone mad, Tom! Look at her!"

"What's so funny?" Adrien asks, making me squeeze his hands.

"All of you are acting so silly." I giggle, making my mom let out a long and exasperated sigh. My dad taps my hand, drawing my attention to the little IV poking into my vein.

"Nothing about this is funny, Marinette. Do you know how serious this is?" My dad reprimands, crossing his arms as he looks down at me. Though the tone doesn't match his eyes that are laced with concern.

"Not really." I admit, watching my dad back away and head to the door. He calls out for a nurse, who comes bustling in a few moments later.

"Marinette, how are you feeling?" She asks, bringing me a little styrofoam cup with a plastic spoon sticking out of it.

"I'm feeling better than before." I smile, taking the cup from the nurse. My excitment dies a sad, pitiful death when I notice the contents inside isn't some ice cream or jello. It's just crushed ice. Nevertheless, I spoon some into my mouth. It does wonders to ease my dry and scratchy throat.

"That's wonderful to hear. You're lucky you came here in time, you were experiencing sepsis." The nurse grabs a clipboard from beside my bed, taking note of all my vitals.

"What's sepsis?" I ask, watching the nurse frown as she completes jotting down my information.

"Sepsis is what happens when you have an infection that is left untreated. Usually occurring when someone has a severe infection in either their lungs, urinary or gastrointestinal tract, or in your case, your skin. Your infection spread into your bloodstream, which was why you were starting to feel very ill. Thankfully, you came before you went into septic shock. We were able to get some antibiotics into you through this IV." She points to the little needle with the thin tube poking into my skin that I noticed earlier.