The Beast Below

Lizzie giggles as she floats in space, her hair flying everywhere "Come on, Baby Pond

Lizzie giggles as she floats in space, her hair flying everywhere "Come on, Baby Pond." the Doctor says as he pulls her in, standing her next to him as he gives Amy a go. "That was awesome!" Lizzie grins, the Doctor smiling at the sisters enjoyment. "Come on, Pond." the Doctor says, pulling Amy back inside "Now do you believe me?" he asks her. "Okay, your box is a spaceship. It's really, really a spaceship. We are in space! What are we breathing?" Amy asks. "I've extended the air shell. We're fine." the Doctor responds before looking down, seeing a floating city "Now that's interesting. 29th century. Solar flares roast the earth, and the entire human race packs its bags and moves out till the weather improves. Whole nations." he starts, running back to the console with Lizzie following. "Doctor?" Amy asks. "Migrating to the stars." he continues. "Doctor?" Amy calls again. "Isn't that amazing?" the Doctor asks, Lizzie smiling. "Doctor!" Amy exclaims.

The Doctor goes to the door, seeing Amy holding on to the outside of the Tardis "Well, come on. I've found us a spaceship. This is the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland. All of it, bolted together and floating in the sky. Starship UK. It's Britain, but metal. That's not just a ship, that's an idea. That's a whole country, living and laughing and shopping. Searching the stars for a new home." he tells them, pulling Amy back in. "Can we go out and see?" Amy asks. "Course we can. But first, there's a thing." the Doctor explains. "A thing?" Amy asks. "An important thing. In fact, Thing One. We are observers only. That's the one rule I've always stuck to in all my travels. I never get involved in the affairs of other peoples or planets. Ooo, that's interesting." the Doctor says, zooming into a crying girl on the screen. "So we're like a wildlife documentary, yeah?" Amy asks, Lizzie noticing the Doctor walking out and following him.

Lizzie stops as she sees the market, looking up to see the starts through a glass roof. Amy soon walks out and looks round "Welcome to London Market. You are being monitored." a voice tells them. "We're in the future. Like hundreds of years in the future. We've been dead for centuries." Amy tells her sister. "Nice." Lizzie responds, scrunching her nose. "Oh, lovely. You're a cheery one. Never mind dead, look at this place. Isn't it wrong?" the Doctor asks as they begin walking, putting his arm round Lizzie's shoulders. "What's wrong?" Lizzie asks. "Come on, use your eyes. Notice everything. What's wrong with this picture?" the Doctor asks the sister. "Is it the bicycles? Bit unusual on a spaceship, bicycles." Amy says, pointing at a person going past on a bike. "Says the girl in the nightie." Lizzie tells her sister with a smirk. "Oh my God, I'm in my nightie." Amy realises. "Now, come on, look around you. Actually look. Life on a giant starship. Back to basics. Bicycles, washing lines, wind-up street lamps. But look closer. Secrets and shadows, lives led in fear. Society bent out of shape, on the brink of collapse. A police state. Excuse me." the Doctor says, taking a glass of water and putting it on the floor. Lizzie looks at, frowning when something feels off. The Doctor puts the water back on the table "Sorry. Checking all the water in this area. There's an escaped fish. Where was I?" he says, beginning to walk again.

"Why did you just do that with the water?" Amy asks. "Don't know. I think a lot. It's hard to keep track. Now, police state. Do you see it yet?" the Doctor responds. "Where?" Amy asks. "There." the Doctor says, motioning to the crying girl as they sit down. Lizzie sits one side of him as Amy sits the other side "One little girl crying. So?" Amy asks. "Crying silently. I mean, children cry because they want attention, because they're hurt or afraid. But when they cry silently, it's because they just can't stop. Any parent knows that." the Doctor explains. "Are you a parent?" Amy asks. "Hundreds of parents walking past who spot her and not one of them's asking her what's wrong, which means they already know, and it's something they don't talk about. Secrets. They're not helping her, so it's something they're afraid of. Shadows, whatever they're afraid of, it's nowhere to be seen, which means it's everywhere." the Doctor continues, ignoring Amy's question. "Police state." Lizzie realises, the Doctor nodding. "Where'd she go?" Amy asks as they watch the girls leave. "Deck two oh seven. Apple Sesame block, dwelling 54A. You're looking for Mandy Tanner. Oh, er, this fell out of her pocket when I accidentally bumped into her. Took me four goes. Ask her about those things. The smiling fellows in the booths. They're everywhere." the Doctor tells Amy, handing her a wallet.