Chapter Forty Seven

Start from the beginning

 "So what will you have us do?" Darien asked.

 "I'm going to visit the city alone and attempt to immerse myself among them, at least for a short while. But that's not my intention for the two of you. We will have to separate. I think it's safe to assume you both will cause a panic if you step foot in a populated area. Or at the very least, you'll inadvertently do something that will result in panic. It doesn't require a stretch of the imagination to envision a scenario escalating." Vengelis shook his head. "I'm not going to take any chances. I will go to this city alone. There's too much on the line here to take an unnecessary gamble."

            "Then should we head back to the ship and wait?" Hoff asked, failing to conceal the disappointment in his tone as he scanned the boundless landscape far below.

            "No, no. There's only a small chance that the scientists will be able to help me to begin with. But I will need them to realize there is nothing they can do to stop our will."

            Darien turned to him and called out, "How?"

            "They need to be shown there will be no negotiating with us," Vengelis shouted over a loud gust of wind. "We don't have the time to make requests or respectfully ask for their help. I will present the scientists with a straightforward choice. Either help me in my understanding of the Felixes, or face total annihilation."

            The Lord General veered in close to Vengelis, this development piquing his interest. "And where do Darien and I come into this?"

            "You two will show them a vision of their obliteration at our hands."

            "How?"

            "Simple." Vengelis's face was stone. "Devastate them until they unequivocally surrender to our command. I can think of no better way to expedite our errand. My hope is to return to Anthem while there are still people left to save. As such, you two will demonstrate a succinct and irrefutable display of our power, and I will gain absolute submission."

            "What will be the nature of our display?"

            "You will maim one of their cities in the most brazen manner you can muster. At the same time I, after gaining their compliance, will force the greatest of their minds to figure out Pral Nerol's research. Regardless of whether they can prove helpful or not, we will be back en route to Anthem as soon as we possibly can—so don't go overboard."

 Hoff looked over at him. "What do you mean?"

 "You know exactly what I mean, Lord General. Hit surgically and hit hard, but nothing excessive. I want to show them a glimpse of our power, not break their civilization's backbone. We're here to save a race, not to destroy one. If time permitted, I wouldn't make our presence known to their greater population at all. But this is an unfortunate situation, as time is a luxury we do not have. I've weighed the cost of their lives against my own people. Our cause is more dire, and so we must harden our hearts until we determine why Master Tolland sent us here. At the very least, your display hopefully will rouse the passenger of the Traverser I to come meet us. Whoever it is has been here for four years. Pral Nerol's researcher will know much about the people down there. He or she might be able to provide some insight into Master Tolland's intentions."

 The three fell silent as they soared southward across the broad sky, undetected bullets moving among the fair clouds. Vengelis was struck by the richness and clarity of the world around him. The vibrancy of the lands, trees, and skies seemed to be clearer than any he had known on Anthem. The recollection of his own world felt drab and colorless by comparison, the lands of Anthem less splendorous, and the skies uninspired and insipid. The world below him had never been disfigured by the thrashing mania of man standing alone against the ruin of his existence.