Chapter 9: Conflicting Emotions

Começar do início

"Do you have a question?" he asked.

"Why was this seat always empty before?" I inquired.

Heng scoffed and shook his head, his eyes rolling in exasperation. What was his problem? Did he want me to gouge his eyes out?

"That's Freen's girlfriend's seat. She's not here because there was a family matter in District A," Saint explained nonchalantly. "Some sort of heir problem, I think." He chuckled at his own forgetfulness.

"That's a common issue in District A. When your siblings have a higher zodiac sign, they're chosen as the heirs. Freen's girlfriend happens to be a Gemini," Heng added.

"Yeah, but Love looks so fierce. Too bad she's not a Leo," Saint commented with a hint of amusement, his laughter echoing through the air.

Freen tapped the table, drawing our attention. She motioned for us to begin eating, as the food had already arrived. Although I hadn't placed an order, my meal was magically there before me.

It was a bowl of snake soup.

I turned to Freen, shooting her a dagger-like glare. When she glanced at my soup, her eyes transformed into a golden hue, a clear sign of her anger. She snatched my soup and was about to hurl it at the waiter who had served it, but someone intervened, deftly controlling the bowl and preventing it from causing harm.

"That's Cancer!" Heng exclaimed, rising from his seat. Freen restrained herself from attacking Irin, who was approaching our table.

What on earth was she doing? Was she looking for a fight?

"Apologies for the commotion. I'm here to borrow Becky for a little while, if you don't mind," Irin sweetly requested.

Heng clenched his fist, but Freen motioned for me to go. She persuaded Heng to remain seated, and they both redirected their attention to their food, as if I had never been with them just moments before.

"Why did you do that?" I asked Irin as we walked away from the three of them.

"Since when did you start hanging out with them? Do you know how dangerous it is? They could kill you in the blink of an eye!" Irin expressed her concern.

"Freen is my new mentor, and I'm living with them in a mansion," I revealed.

Irin's eyes widened in surprise. "What the freak, don't tell me you're part of the top 10 now?"

I shook my head. "Just a substitute for Gulf. He's a Sagittarius."

"I know," Irin replied, flipping her hair and linking her arm with mine. "But that's not why I'm here. Someone asked me to fetch you. Non has prepared a date for the two of you." Irin giggled mischievously.

As I stepped into the room, my eyes widened in awe. Soft, flickering candlelight cast an enchanting glow across the space, creating an atmosphere of romance and intrigue. The air carried a delicate fragrance of flowers, their sweet scent floating through the room, as if seeking to uplift my spirits. Non had gone to great lengths to craft an elegant setting for our date, but unfortunately, I wasn't in the mood for love.

My gaze settled upon the centerpiece of the room—a meticulously arranged table adorned with a pristine white tablecloth that gracefully cascaded to the floor. A solitary candle stood tall, its flame dancing with a captivating grace that mirrored the conflicting emotions swirling within me. The table exuded an air of sophistication, its fine china and crystal glasses shimmering under the candle's warm glow. Every detail had been thoughtfully considered, a testament to Non's effort to make this evening extraordinary.

A bouquet of vibrant roses captured my attention, their petals displaying a captivating blend of scarlet and blush hues. Proudly standing, they emitted a sweet fragrance that permeated the room, offering a gesture of love and affection. Next to the table, an array of delectable pastries adorned a dessert tray, each intricately designed, reflecting the care and artistry that went into their creation. They should have enticed my taste buds, but my appetite for love had been overshadowed by a heavy heart.

As I settled into the plush chair, a sigh escaped my lips. The room exuded an atmosphere of love and connection, yet my heart couldn't embrace it. The elegance that enveloped me felt hollow, unable to penetrate the barriers guarding my emotions. Love, once a source of joy and warmth, now seemed like a distant concept that eluded my grasp. The grandeur and meticulous planning of the room couldn't fill the void that consumed me.

"I'm not here because I want to continue talking," I began the conversation, breaking the silence. "You're from District X, but I'm sorry, I don't know you."

As I made a move to leave, Non grabbed my arm from behind, preventing my escape.

"Don't you remember me?" he pleaded.

"No," I responded firmly.

I had made a conscious choice to bury memories of a familiar face, erasing him from the delicate canvas of my heart, unwilling to recall the person I once knew.