17 ~ A Beautiful View

Start from the beginning

"Where are you taking us?" I asked, intrigued at how far we had wandered from the base.

"You'll see." He said in reply.

We began to ascend in altitude, and vast views gradually became apparent through the thick knots of branches.

"It's a bit more overgrown than I remember" Edmund chuckled behind me.

Eventually we came to an ancient oak tree just by the top of the green mountain we had been ascending. Edmund showed me how to bring the horse to a halt, and we dismounted, leaving it to graze on the thick mountain grass.

"What is this place?" I asked, trying to peer through the drooping branches and the blanket of leaves before me.

"I used to come here a lot, to clear my head." As he said this he gently took my hand and parting the trees outstretched arms with his other, he led me under the viridescent canopy. "It was my favourite tree to sit under and watch the day pass Narnia by, of course its much, much bigger now."

"Yeah... return somewhere thirteen hundred years later and things might be a bit different." I giggled, and Edmund sarcastically rolled his eyes.

Time seemed to stand still as we peered across what seemed to be all of Narnia, I gazed in wonder at the tremendous view before us. Up here the noble looking mound was clearly visible, so was the tall Telmarine castle that seemed to emerge from the great wood to its west. The sun hung perfectly above us, warming all that it shone upon, casting small shimmering strobes of light through the canopy of oak leaves. 

"Its beautiful" I said in awe. Edmunds eyes brimmed with nostalgia as they met mine.

"Its a shame that the tree blocks some of the view" He responded glancing around at the canopy that curtained the sky.

I smiled excitedly and once again taking his hand said "I can fix that" 

We walked over to the wide tree trunk and I placed my palm onto the bark. 'Take us up please.' I instructed inside my head, and sure enough a mighty branch came down to collect us before taking us to the top of the treeline.

Up here the view was truly breath taking, trees appeared to be tiny dots of colour lining the distant peaks, variations of emerald, olive, sage and pine all blended into one magnificent gradient. Everywhere I looked I saw new and exiting views, I wanted to stay here in Narnia, with Edmund and experience everything,  go everywhere. Turning around I squinted my eyes and was surprised to spot the ruins of Cair Paravel, the white architecture protruded perfectly from the overgrown costal island I imagined Cair Paravel looked simply stunning in its prime. My eyes were then drawn to the shimmering ocean, it was so vast, it seemed to hug the edge of the horizon, lingering in my view. However, there was only one view I was captivated by, only one view I could never bore of. I Gazed at it and it smiled back at me, rewarding me with that glimmer in its eyes that I so adore. That view was Edmund.

"This view never gets old." Edmund said taking a breath of the crisp mountain air.

"Well only by thirteen hundred years." I responded just to annoy him.

He gave me a smirk, shaking his head. "that was so bad" As he spoke he began to giggle "Maybe leave the jokes to the professional" And he gestured to himself.

"Professional... Sure" I responded, And we both erupted into laughter, so much so in fact that I lost my footing and began to slip, realising this, Edmund managed to catch my hand and pull me in onto the thin branch, with a light laugh.

"how did you manage that?" He questioned and I shook my head still laughing.

The smiles on our faces had not yet faded, and we both seemed to be living still in the previous moment, still laughing. We were pressed against each other growing closer by the second, our fingers tangled tight, our breathing in sync, our smiles wide. Our eyes were focused on nothing but each other, I could have gazed at him like that for hours.