•♤• ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕖𝕟 : 𝕄𝕒𝕚𝕟 ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕣𝕒𝕔𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔽𝕖𝕖𝕝𝕤 •♤•

Start from the beginning

I let myself continue joking along with him through the phone, we talked while I went back to my homework as he told me all about his work life.

He started bragging and joking about how much money he now makes while I joked about stealing them, this made him scoff at me.

" You stealing ? Sorry but I'd have to ground you for that."

"I'm literally old enough not to be grounded." He shrugged, his camera shake until he placed the phone done and showed the living room he was in.

At least he still had the family portrait on behind him.. besides all of the medals and certificates I had through the years. A high achiever you could say of me, but at least it made him proud...

" You're still young and dumb."

I turned back to the phone and smirked, I knew what I was doing and I knew he'd be pissed. " At least I'm still young."

" Talk like that again kiddo and I'd kick you out of your apartment."

" And that's why I have 911 on speed dial." It felt good to hear him laugh. I made a mental note to pay him a surprise visit and bring his favorite jack fruit later.

He was getting older while I watched him through the phone whenever we talked, I knew he wanted to see me but I had just been having a hard time adjusting the new routine I had now that I'm away.

" Are you.. still pursuing journalism.." I paused at his question. I was hesitant to answer, he was never one that really supported me with the idea of pursuing to being an author.

" Wouldn't make much money" or so what he tells me. The silence dawned at us both, I knew that he knew of my answer and I was never one to speak it out which only made him sigh.

Here we go again. " You know if you ever want to change your mind, I could-"

"Pa." No, please no more of this. I glanced at the phone, seeing his worrisome gaze at me but I knew better than that. He was looking out, which I am thankful don't get it twisted, but I've always wanted this line of work.

He was an old timey man or what his friends say about him, always wanted the best jobs that could, quote by his words : " give you a boost to help surviving life." I stared at him but he only averted his gaze away from mine and gave out another sigh.

" I'm still hesitant with this choice of yours kiddo, I mean would it really provide for you ?"

" Pa, I promise you that I will handle it. I mean, I took the business course you requested as promise, so I know how to handle a,"

I motioned for my fingers in a quoting phrase, " A business of being an author"

" -being an author, yes I know." He chuckled. " You've engraved it on my mind at this point."

I smiled at that, and leaned against my hand, lightly twirling the pen on my fingers. He's always hesitant with the idea of me pursuing journalism to become an author, even when I became first place in a story writing competition in eighth grade.

Though, I couldn't blame it. He heard some stories of some authors starting low and then becoming famous, but there are also authors that didn't technically made the cut.

He feared that I would become one of those who didn't made it. I understand all of it, I really do.

" Kiddo," He paused before turning serious again.