Finally, she tore the cork from the bottle. Wine splashed over the washed floor as she shook, bringing it to her lips. The bittersweet taste did nothing to calm the taste of bile in her throat. Not only did Cassian come strutting in, with a daughter that Theia had no idea about, but Nyx was in the village.

A sob tore from her as she sat the bottle to her side and tucked her legs up. Feelings that she had worked centuries to forget were reminding her all too well what it was like when she realized he would never come for her. Now that he was here, he didn't want to see her. Was he in love? Did he find his mate? Does he even remember her?

It felt like Cassian worked some sick torture on her by mentioning Nyx. If he hadn't, she would've seen that house occupied and assumed it was Zenova, but now she knew Nyx was there. She knew he was there and she couldn't speak to him. She had thousands of unanswered questions. Cauldron, she'd want to see him even if it was to scream for all of her lost years. Nyx left her broken, and he never picked up the pieces.

Theia was forced to put herself back together. She had done it a century before, and that work was worth little to nothing now. She pressed the butt of her palms into her eyes to slow the tears. Her breaths were ragged, hands shaking. She felt like a child again. A child that didn't know what love was truly like, yet she clung to every crumb. Nyx never loved her, he loved the idea of having someone dependent on him.

Theia was someone to fix; a project. Nyx worked on her and decided his responsibilities were worth more to him than some disheveled female miles away. She had accepted that once upon a time, but now it felt more painful than ever. She let her head drop back, eyes peeling open to look at the wooden ceiling.

It was a new sense of horror to be in the same village as him. She'd be terrified walking through that he would be around the corner. Theia could hardly breathe as she drank down another quarter of the bottle and rose to her feet. Her body leaned into the bar, hands grasping the wine bottle shakily.

She had heard whispers throughout the village of secrets that spilled from the Hewn City or other courts. Nyx had spent his time sleeping around with half the world, though Theia had no place to judge him. She couldn't walk the streets without running into someone she had been to bed with. She had always ignored the rumors, deciding that he was far past the point of return and she'd never face him again. That was foolish of her.

Theia let her sorrow build into the comfortable anger she always held for him now. He had taken advantage of her long ago, and she still allowed him to play with the strings. Whether he resided in the village or not, Theia shouldn't care. He was never good for her, and she was never good for him. It was foolish to think a High Lord's son would ever truly love her, especially before either of them could understand the world.

Now she was older, wiser, and knew well enough that feeling sorry for herself was pointless. She had a male to go home to- a home that she had come to love again. Her life was her own after all these years, and Theia refused to let Nyx ruin it again.

After taking long breaths and cooling her face with water, Theia returned to her duties. She calculated the amount of alcohol needed for the month, having to redo it over and over again as her mind grew dazed by emotion and wine. Finally, the work was done and Theia pulled her coat on again. She left the fire roaring as she tugged her coat tight around herself and locked the tavern. Her teeth chattered as she marched down to the office that held those who sent out the post.

"Good day, Theia! Another order?" The older male behind the counter asked. She forced a smile and nodded, sliding the paper over. The male looked it over with a hum before slipping it into an envelope and sealing it shut.

"We will have this out to the farming community by tomorrow. Last month, they told us the wine stock is running low until the fruits are harvested. Looks like you may be selling more whiskey and ale into the summer," he explained as he laid the envelope into a basket. Theia shrugged.

"I knew it would happen. Wine isn't easy to come by in the mountains," she responded, her voice sounding far more dry than she meant. The male cocked his head, wrinkled face crinkling more as he studied her.

"You feeling alright?" He asked, tapping his fingers on the counter. Theia sighed and pressed her lips into a tight line as she turned to leave.

"Never better," she muttered. She left the shop and aimed for the tavern again. Midday rolled around and it was time to open the tavern. She prayed it would be busy enough to make the time go by fast enough for her to rush home and lose herself within Silas. He had a knack for making her forget her troubles.

The first couple hours went by dreadfully slow. Theia leaned against the counter, swirling a glass of wine as she awaited the trainees to come barreling through the door. Eventually, they came filing in, loud and cheerful as ever. Thankfully, Elena had the decency to join Theia during the shift. Long ago, Theia realized how poor of a friend Elena had been. She didn't bother asking Theia where she was or if she was alright when she returned to work after her depression spell; rather Elena begged her for details about her sex life with Nyx.

Theia glanced at her through the side of her eye as she poured another glass of ale. "Nice of you to join," she muttered. Elena waved her off and got to work, eyes heavy and face pale. The female had never gotten out of her phase of drinking and sleeping with anyone who gave her the time of day. Theia couldn't blame her; she had done the same before Silas.

At the thought of him, Theia became eager to leave the tavern and smother her rampage of emotions with his body. He was good enough to make her mind feel numb during sex, and soothe the loneliness when the pleasure wore off. Her eyes darted to the window, noting the fallen sun. He'd be home by now.

"Since you're hours late for your shift, you're on for the night. Lock up when you close," Theia called to Elena, tossing the spare key to her. Elena's face twisted in protest but Theia couldn't care less. She grabbed her jacket and slipped out the back door. Her legs mindlessly turned to the left, to take the stroll past that forgotten house like she did every night. A bitter habit that she could never break. The only difference: Nyx was there now.

Theia swallowed the lump in her throat and turned to the right, slipping down the alley and through the streets. She made her way down the long street, feeling the slightest bit of relief when she saw the smoke in the chimney.

As everyday went, a mouthwatering smell came from the kitchen as she entered the house. Theia threw her coat to the chair and hurried towards the smell, heartbeat quickening when Silas was in the kitchen, his chest bare and hair wet.

"Oh, you did get home early. Dinner isn't finished yet," Silas muttered, motioning to the cooking food. Theia shook her head, already feeling the tightness in her throat that threatened a breakdown. She slid along the counter and reached for his face. Silas looked down at her with a frown.

"Fuck me, Silas. Please, I need you."

Theia wasn't one to beg anymore, but she had never felt more desperate to forget her day than she did in that moment.