"No, you don't. You laugh like a princess," I pointed out.

She grinned. "And I love how blunt you are with me. It's a pleasant change, Ailia."

"Compared to the Alpha's presence? That's not so hard to beat."

She shook her head, smiling still. "He isn't that bad when you get to know him."

The conversation died there as we entered the kitchen. Piper's arm disconnected from mine as she made herself some toast.

"Want some?"

I shrugged a yes and watched as she placed four slices under a strange metal looking thing. It rolled the bread down a tunnel where it disappeared for thirty seconds before popping out of the bottom a clean brown colour. She smothered hers in strawberry jam as I coated mine in butter, and together, we grabbed a drink and made our way to the front porch.

Sitting down on a chair, I sighed. "This place is so dreary."

With a mouthful of toast, primed and proper, Piper frowned at me. "What do you mean?"

"This porch," I gestured. "It's so dull. Not exactly welcoming."

She snorted. "The pack is not the most welcoming."

"That's not the point. They could still make it look nice for themselves, at least." I muttered.

"You are a part of the pack now. Why don't you suggest something?"

"I don't have any money," I shook my head. "I doubt that it'd get anywhere under-funded."

"I will fund it myself if I have to, Ailia." She smirked. "But I'm sure there is more than enough money in the pack accounts to spruce up the outside."

"Pack account?"

"Yeah, every pack has a generalised bank account for things like this. House repairs, transportation, furniture..."

"Bank account?" I cocked my head.

She paused, blinking slowly. "You don't know what a bank account is?"

Frowning, I shook my head. Chewing on some toast to pass the awkward belittling I felt, I contemplated keeping my mouth shut.

"I don't mean it in a bad way, Ailia. I forget you are not from around here sometimes. It feels like I've known you longer than this," Piper soothed me, reaching her hand out to grasp my knee. "A bank account is a place where money goes to keep safe. It's digital; you can transfer money from account to account and each account has a balance. From that balance, you can pay for things digitally or take money out as cash or coins."

"I see..." I murmured.

Damn, the world really had moved on without my home even realising. Or perhaps they did, and we didn't have the access to the digital stuff? But maybe, a darker part of me thought, the self-loving rulers didn't want to share. A few coins a day for hard work was nothing for people like Darius.

"Ailia, I do not know the extent of you life..."

Oh, here we go again.

"But you can ask me anything and I won't judge you. I will just give you the answer."

Hmm, perhaps not what I was expecting.

Smiling gratefully, I nodded. "Thank you, Piper."

She grinned, removing her hand. "So, what is the deal between you and this pack? In particular, my supposed to-be mate?"

"Supposed?"

She shrugged. "We coupled up since my mate died, if you remember me saying, but he's suddenly called it off about a week ago."