"Zane—"

"She was just attending the party, nothing more. We came in here to have sex. That's it. She had no idea the drugs were there."

The cop towers over us with a hand on his hip, covering his gun. I can't even make out his face from the blurry vision of my tears. Even I know that saying the drugs aren't mine shouldn't have worked. It's a bullshit excuse that everyone uses, but for whatever reason, the cop tilts his head to the side, studying me.

I'm not sure what he sees, but when my bottom lip trembles, my tears dropping on the hardwood floor, he nods to one of the other men. "Take him to the station."

Without another word, Zane is dragged out of the room in handcuffs before I can even ask him why he'd save me, and I'm left alone with the cop standing in front of me and three other men beside him. "What the hell did you get yourself into, kid?"

"I—I didn't know. I swear I didn't know," I choke out. "Please don't arrest me. I—I've never been in trouble before, and I've never—"

I blink when the officer's hand clutches my elbow, gently pulling me to my feet. "Did you know that guy?" He asks.

"Y—Yes he goes to my school. We're..." I trail off, unsure what to classify our relationship as. "We're friends. Or, were."

"And did you know he's part of the cartel?"

My heart stills in my chest. "The what?"

He sighs, shooting me a stern glance. "Look, I've dealt with enough people to know who's lying and who's telling the truth, so take this as a saving grace and as a warning to never speak to that guy again. I have a daughter your age, and I couldn't imagine her getting wrapped up in someone like that."

I nod desperately, hating the way I want to defend Zane when there is no reason I should. He had sex with my best friend tonight, but he also saved my life whether this cop will admit that or not. If he hadn't said they were his family's drugs, I'm not sure I'd be getting the same treatment right now. As much of a dick as Zane is, I don't think he's a bad person. I think he's a guy stuck in a situation he doesn't want to be in but doesn't know how to get out of. It all makes sense now.

"Can you pass a breathalyzer downstairs if we give you one?"

"Y—Yes. I haven't had anything to drink tonight. Not a sip."

The cop nods and then points to one of his guys. "If she passes, uncuff her and let her go. I'm going to finish up searching the house with everyone else."

"Will do, sergeant."

By the grace of God or a stroke of pure luck, I'm escorted down the stairs of Zane's house and led outside into the chilly December air. My teeth are chattering from my nerves, and my body is still shaking from head to toe as I wait beside the police car for the cop to bring me the machine.

Lights are flashing everywhere. At least twenty cop cars are lined up his driveway and down the block, and yellow tape is framing the yard. Thankfully, Zane lives in a secluded area, so there aren't any nosey neighbors lingering nearby or any paparazzi who I'm certain would have a field day knowing Cameron Holden's daughter was associated with someone from the cartel.

"Izzy, what the fuck!" Everett is darting underneath the yellow tape before police can stop him, his long legs sprinting over to me. "It's my sister!" He shouts when someone tries to grab him.

I want to tell him to listen to the police. The big sister in me should tell him to wait, but he's not who I'm paying attention to.

Mason is standing behind the yellow line with his hands in the pocket of his hoodie. His jaw is clenched, his eyes scanning the handcuffs around my wrist before he averts his gaze away from me to stare down at the driveway.