The trial pt.3

Lizzie POV

„While I was at college I started to build a special relationship with a certain someone. He found out somehow and used it against me. It was forbidden and if he'd expose us this person would be in so much trouble that it could cost a lot." She elaborated as she kept her tearful eyes on me.
I had a gut wrenching feeling that she was talking about us.

„Was this a relationship with and authority figure?"
He asked Nora and as she looked at me she nod her head.

„It was your honor." she replied with a voice crack.

„So he threatened you to expose this information? This is why you staid with him?"

„Yes your honor, this was the only reason."
She answered simply as her tears dried off by now.
Tears I thought that would never dry because of what she just told us. At least mine didn't dry off by now. But I know that Nora holds herself back from a lot of things. Even feeling things and letting them flow how they are supposed to.

„my file says that you faked your death. Was he the reason for this act?" he asked and she nod.

„One of them yes."

„What was the other?" he asked curiously while swiping through his papers. Probably because there isn't an extra note about it.

„The fiancé of my..." she held back and glanced towards me probably not wanting to give us a certain title but it was true at that time.

„Of my affair. He told me strictly to stay away from them and I obviously couldn't because we were seeing each other on a daily basis in classes and all. So he was also a reason why I did what I did."

„When did he tell you that?"

„On their wedding day. It was the last time I saw him and her." she replied while keeping her head low. I really have the urge to ruin Robbie's life right now because he most certainly ruined Nora's and also mine and I didn't even know.

„I want the jury to understand your actions. So could you please tell me. Do you think this was an act of love?" he asked and Nora glanced towards me.

„Probably the most selfless act I've ever done in my life. I knew she'd be safe without having me around. I didn't see any other option. So to answer your questions your honor I think this was an act of love. Even if it might not felt like Love for the both of us because we split in an horrible way."

She really did it all for me. The faking death situation. The staying away from me. The distance she kept. All for me and all just to keep me safe.

„And how come you met with your ex again? How did he find you?" he asked and I would love to know that too. Nora didn't tell me much about what had happened and I am glad that I sit here even if it pains me to know. But I don't think she would have been this open with me. Even though she'd be safe and not judged.

„Turns out that the husband of my affair found out somehow. Probably through a phone I don't know it but Victor told me. They had one thing in common."

„What was their common sense?"

„They wanted me dead." she replied dry as if it wasn't a big thing but heck it was one.

„You have kids from your ex right?" he asked and Nora nod.

„Yes your honor. I do. They are the light of my life. Even if I didn't want them at first when I saw them for the first time I knew that they will stay with me. No matter what. I'd do everything for them."

„Even kill?" he asked and Nora's face went pale.

„Do you have kids your honor? Or do some people in the jury?" she asked and he looked a bit surprised. Some of the jury's nod and the judge stared at her.

„I do but this is not important."

„It is. This question is irrelevant. Because everyone who has kids knows what they'd do for them. Besides what I did was mainly to safe someone's life."

„The life of your Affair? The report says that she was there too."

„Yes. I jumped in front of her. He aimed at her. Not at me. Probably because he knew that he'd kill me either way. I'd die when she would or I'd die for her so that she doesn't have to."

„So he used that for his benefits."

„I think so yeah."

„Okay. I have one last question." he stopped taking notes.

„Do you regret that you killed him?" he asked her and I think this is the finale question that will either help her out or bring her behind bars. So she better say that she does regret it even if she doesn't I think this is what they want to hear.
A regretful victim.

„I know this question will be either the death of me or not. I know the answer of the jury counts. It is helpful for you to decide about my future. But not just about my future about the future of my kids too. About my love too. I will get ripped away from them and they are getting close to becoming seven years old. I probably deserve to go behind bars. I do think so sometimes. Because I took a life and I don't have the right to do that. But it was either him or me. A life to death situation. And my instinct took over. A part of me wanted to die that day. But I couldn't leave a world behind where he'd get closer to my kids. Some part of me regrets it. Because I never wanted to kill someone. Nor will I ever do it again. But I almost died that day too.
Some part of me says I did the right thing because at least I know that my kids are safe now. Even if might not raise them. That is for you to decide.
I am simply just a Mother who saved her kids. I am a Mother. Someone's child and maybe someone's love too. I am simply a human being who made plenty of mistakes. Don't let this one big mistake define me for the rest of my life."

...