The trial pt. 1

Nora POV

„You were really the last person on earth I wanted to see. I hope you know that." I spat at Elle as she approached me in the court hallway.
Oh how I wanna beat that smirk out of her face.

„Likewise. I can't wait to witness you getting arrested for what you did. You disgust me."
She replied as she stood there with crossed arms.

„Do you even know what he did to me? How he treated me? How he traumatized me forever? He marked me for life and I won't get rid of it. I hate to break it to you but he deserved-."

„Nora I think that is enough. You shouldn't be talking to her. Nor should you say what you were about to say out loud. Remember where we are right now. Everything can be used against you."
I heard Ruby from behind me as she approached us. I glanced to her and she gave me a stern yet gentle look to let me know that I really should listen to her.

„Where is Lizzie did you see her?" I asked as I pulled my attention towards Ruby.

„She is still on the phone with Someone. I don't know with who maybe it's about work. But she told me she'd catch up." she answered as we sat down in the waiting hall.

„Was It right for me to not bring my kids along?
Am I a horrible mother for not telling what might happen to me? I don't want them to picture me differently. I am their mom. I don't want them to see my ugly side. At least not that early."

„I can't tell you if you are right or wrong. But I get why you held those informations back. They are still kids after all and they won't understand the sacrifices you made."

„But I killed their father. They don't know it was me. They don't even know he is dead I-."

„Hey. Listen. You did what you had to do in order to survive. It was a life or death situation between the two of you. You always gotta keep that in mind. If you were the one who died your kids would be orphans and maybe they'd be with him. You didn't just Safe yourself. You saved your twins too."
Ruby explained to me as she placed her hand in my knee to give me comfort.

The huge wooden doors opened in front of us and this was our sign to get in as Ruby got up first. I looked to my left and right not understanding why Lizzie isn't here. I thought she knew that I needed her here now with me more than everything. But she is no we're to be seen in the crowded hallway.

„Nora we have to get in now. She will be here soon don't worry."

„I-I can't. I can't do this alone I need her here where is she?" I asked hectic as I got up.

„I told you she is on the phone. You will have her here soon. We really need to get in now or else you will leave a bad impression on yourself."
Ruby reminded me and even though I fear for my life right now I had to go and do it on my own.
Just like I always do.

Elle was already sitting there with her lawyer and we went to sit at the table next to them. I feel how people are eyeing me up and down. I usually don't give a damn if people stare but this... this is a different type of stare. It feels like they are all burning holes through my skin.
We sat down and Ruby unpacked her bag to get her notes out.

„All rise for judge Harris!" I pulled myself up and so did everyone else.

„Sit down please." everyone sat down after judge Harris told us to.

„We have gathered her today to judge about someone's life. The life of Nora Margot Lewis.
We will go through the scenario of Miss Lewis. We will listen to her version of the story due to the fact that victim is no longer with us. We will state the facts so that the jury can have an overall view about the situation." the judge started to explain and I couldn't stand the fact that they said that Victor was the victim. In the end he was but his intention was to kill me first or Lizzie.

„Miss Lewis. You may step forward and take a seat next to us." the judge pointed beside him and I nod while getting up.

„Do not filter anything. Be complete honest. This might be your only way out." Ruby whispered as I walked past her. My stomach wrenches as I was starting to feel how awful it can end.

„Will you tell us the truth and nothing else but the truth?" a stern voice echoed in my ear and I got lost in thoughts for a moment.

„Yes your honor I will tell the truth and nothing else but the truth." I replied and he nod letting me sit down.

„Miss Lewis. Could you please describe your relationship with Victor?" he asked me sternly.

„How far back do you want me to go your honer?" I asked not being sure where to start.

„When did he became abusive? Would that be a better start off?" he asked and I swallowed the lump in my throat.

„We were still in college. I got back with him... in a forcefully way mad I add." I began and the door opened with Lizzie walking through. I kept an eye
on that door ever since I could look at it while sitting at the front Podest.

She mouthed me an ‚i am sorry' and sat herself down in the front row. „Keep on miss Lewis."
The judge pulled my mind back and I nod.

„As I was saying... by the time I was in a relationship with him again he started to become abusive. It wasn't that deep at first because of most of the time he was just humiliating me verbally. But at some point..." I stopped myself as I felt how hard it was to talk about it in front of complete strangers.

...