He looked at her with something in his eye that seemed far softer than hunger. It pulled at her heart. She still wasn't able to offer him more than her body and some company. He didn't seem to mind though. Silas leaned down, taking her lips with his. Theia moaned against his mouth, clinging to the cropped hair at his neck.

"I made steaks and vegetables, they're on the counter," Silas murmured against her lips. Theia grinned again, nipping at his bottom lip. He groaned and tugged at her hair.

"I think you've given me a feast tonight," Theia cooed, her hand slipping down his neck and over his muscled chest. Silas chuckled and pulled away.

"I heard your stomach growling as soon as you opened the door. Eat something and then maybe I'll give you some dessert," he laughed. Theia snorted and pecked his lips again.

"Fine, but remember you promised me you'd try something new the other night," Theia responded, poking the center of his chest before slipping around him and to the counter. He had even cut her steak for her. Theia stabbed the seared meat with a fork and shoved it into her mouth, a satisfied groan leaving her.

"Good?" Silas asked, catching her waist with his hands and pulling her back against him. She knew what he wanted and flattened her wings, giving him access. She shoved another mouthful of food in and moaned again. Silas answered with a chuckle and his teeth grazing her neck.

"Remind me again why you chose to be a camp lord and not a chef?" Theia grumbled around another mouthful of perfectly seasoned food.

"Because I'm better at knowing how to kill a man and fight in battle, cooking is reserved specially for you," he hummed against the back of her neck as he rolled his hips against her.

"I thought you wanted me to eat," Theia laughed, though it was smothered by a moan when he squeezed her hips.

"I do, I'm just impatient," Silas cooed, continuing his kisses along her neck. Theia made it halfway through her plate before she couldn't handle it any longer. Silas kept to his promise as he dragged her into the bedroom.

—————————

Theia awoke just before sunrise to Silas kissing her cheek. She hummed, stretching out her arms. He leaned over her, grinning down in the dying moonlight.

"I'm off to work early. There's a new crew of trainees coming in today. I'll see you tonight?"

Theia hummed again, reaching out to hook her arm around his neck and drag him down. He chuckled as she kissed him deeply, still in a haze from the night before. He sat up with a crooked smile, his body still hovering over her. His leathers were tight, giving every hint to how stunning his body was. It wasn't only his body, but his beauty was a far cry from any male that is normally found in the camps.

Silas took pride in his appearance. His hair, a dusty brown shade, was cut close along the edges and long on the top. She loved the long pieces that hung over his brown eyes, her fingers always finding their way into it. His beard was closely trimmed to his jaw, but still full enough to be soft at her touch.

She sat up, pressing another kiss to his lips. "I'll see you tonight. I may be home sooner than usual. I have to go in early today to write the orders."

Silas nodded and slid from the bed, body tall and looming. He shot her a smile and a wink before disappearing through the doorway. Theia adored her life now. Everything felt simple: Work, home, fucking Silas, going to bed. There were no complicated emotions. She had told Silas when he planned to move in that they were only around each other for pleasure and company, nothing more. He understood her intentions, and he didn't care.

Theia stretched out in the soft bed, groaning as her muscles loosened. She laid there until the sun made its way above the mountains. Once the light came in through the window, Theia crawled out of the bed and set for the bathing chamber. She took a long and soothing bath, soaking herself in pine and spiced soap. It was one thing she could never let go of. It was more for herself, rather than a memory of Nyx. It represented the first time she ever felt safe and comfortable.

The air was warmer today, though Theia was still bundled in a jacket. She walked into the village, taking a stop at the bakery for breakfast. Another sense of familiarity washes over her at the smell of the baked treats. When she was on search of a job, she stopped to ask Calliope, the owner, to work in the bakery again. Of course, the female already had an army of employees, so Theia settled for the tavern alone.

"Zacharias! Grab Theia's food!" Calliope called the moment Theia stepped into the bakery. The young male at the counter gave a shouted response and quickly shoved a berry pastry and cinnamon bread into a bag, holding it out. Theia laughed and gave Zacharias a few coins as she took the bag.

"Prompt as always, Zach. Have a good day. Bye, Calli!" She called over her shoulder as she left the bakery. Always hungry, Theia tore a piece of the bread and began eating on her walk. She marched down the main street, waving at the shop owners as they laid out their signs.

One of the warriors posted at the center of the village shot her a wave. Theia grinned, waving back at the male with a fist full of spiced bread. Before she could face forward again, her shoulder was hit by something hard. She yelped, stunning backward as the bread in her hand and the bag hit the dusty ground.

"Ugh," Theia spat, dusting herself off as she grabbed the bag. The berry pastry was safe within  the paper container, though her bread was a lost cause beneath the mud and snow. She whirled around to see three figures walking away, large cloaks over their bodies.

"Watch where you walk! You owe me bread!" She shouted behind them, sending a string of curses as she smacked the snow from her bag. A few of the shopkeepers muttered around her, and Theia grumbled under her breath as she tucked the pastry to her chest and continued her trek to the tavern.

She unlocked the front door and slipped in, immediately starting the fire at the large hearth. The air slowly warmed as she pulled her coat off and brought out the parchment. She spent the next couple hours taking stock of the inventory. From the kegs of ale to the bottles of wine, a lot of numbers had changed throughout the month.

Theia had convinced Nico to supply a variety of wine after her stay in Velaris. She realized it was the perfect option between ale and whiskey. As she finished tearing the parchment from the pad and placing the bottles back on the shelf, the door opened. Theia huffed and sat the paper down.

"We're closed until the afternoon," she called out to the cloaked figures that stepped into the tavern. Her eyes narrowed when she realized it was two of the three that sent her bread into the earth. They stomped their boots, the larger one shaking the timber floors. The smaller one was the first to pull their cloak off, revealing a smiling female. Theia made a confused face.

"Did you not hear me? The tavern is closed until the afternoon," she spat, already starting to move from behind the counter to usher them out.

"We thought you could open early for an old friend," the larger one spoke. Theia stopped suddenly, her eyes darting to the shadowed face that was hidden beneath the cloak hood. Her body felt numb as shock slammed into her with the force of an army.

Cassian was in the tavern.