Chapter 37 - July 5th, 2002

'Dad,' Maia says as she holds up a package. 'Someone sent you a present,' Mateo says. 'Oh,' Valentine says and opens the box. Anna smiles at her friend. They are all hoping the same thing. 'Here are scissors,' Paul says and hands his dad a pair of scissors to open the box. 'Thank you, son,' Valentine says and finally opens the box. A card falls out of it. He picks it up and reads it out loud.

'Dear Valentine, I wish you a very happy birthday! It wasn't easy to find an apron this year, but I think you'll love this one. Love, Sookie,' Valentine says. They all feel relieved. A part of everyone thought she might be dead. Valentine takes the apron out of the box. 'Ooh! Donuts! What a coincidence,' He says happily. Just like the cat. Thomas and Paul look at each other and start smiling, she read the letters. 'How lovely, just like your new cat, Val,' Anna smiles.

'I'm going to wear it tomorrow!' Valentine says and hangs the apron on his chair. 'I'm glad she's okay,' Valentine finally says. 'Me too,' Maia says and takes Mateo's hand. 'Can you believe it's almost a year?' Anna asks. 'No,' Thomas says and comforts his mother. 'What's almost a year ago?' Ophelia asks. 'That your auntie Soo left,' Anna says and picks up her granddaughter. 'Candy,' Ophelia says. Anna and Thomas smile. 'Yes, candy,' Thomas says.