27 // the reason why

When people built the public office

wasn't the reason why

so it could take away their perils

and create a bright and peaceful world?

But the citizens suffer hardship, and the officials bloat with riches

On the vast earth, not a single one

of the citizens can voice their woe

So they take to their brushes, and entrust it to song.

- Chinese folksong

Summer let out a scream.

This is me?

Why, why, why...

"Summer, are you awake? Good morning. How do you feel? Ah, I see all your cognitive senses have returned to normal. Splendid."

This is me?

No, this isn't me.

This isn't me.

"What are you talking about? Look. You are beautiful. Not only beautiful―yes, soon you will have both beauty and power in your hands. And immortal life. Brilliant, is it not?"

No. No.

Help me.

Turn me back.

Turn me back to who I was.

"Summer. You cannot let yourself get over-excited. It hurts, doesn't it? Yes, when your emotions are agitated, it causes pain. Headaches. So, calm. Calm down. Calm down, and think of the appropriate state you should be in. Yes... good girl. I will help you. Yes, calm down..."

Louis...

Where is Louis?

"Forget him. You have been reborn. Forget everything from before. Everything. No people, no names, or memories are of use to you anymore, Summer."

I don't want to forget.

I can't forget.

I... won't forget.

"You know, Summer, tomorrow is a festival. A day to celebrate the birth of this city. A celebratory festival. It's called 'The Holy Celebration'. You know about it too, I'm sure. You were a former citizen, after all."

Louis.

Louis, where are you?

"Festivals are utter foolishness. Everyone makes a senseless ruckus and they don't even realize what they're celebrating for. Foolish, aren't they? It would be troublesome if they weren't, however. Ha ha ha.... The real Holy ones are right here. You and I. Shall we give a toast, Summer? Will you have wine?"

I will not forget.

I will not forget you.

I would never be able to forget you.

"Summer, why are you expressing sadness? I'm planning a very splendid gift for you, you know. Soon. I will lead you to become an existence everyone would admire."

I will keep remembering you.

Because this is my own heart.

I will not... forget.