"...Seriously?" (Ilya)

I feel Ilya's gaze towards me intensify. The wine's intoxication is slowly turning to a good feeling. I stare at Ilya while my head turns to fluff.

"...If you want to quit, yes. But... I'd like it if you stayed." (Anise)

"...What's with you all the sudden?" (Ilya)

"I just thought it'd be a good opportunity." (Anise)

I chugged the rest of my wine, and my eyes became heavier.

"You've stayed by my side because of my selfishness." (Anise)

"It was your wish, so it was fine by me." (Ilya)

"It was. You've really taken good care of me. I'm truly blessed; for all my life, it was you protecting my heart." (Anise)

From my father, my position. From my mother, severity. From Ilya, comfort.

She was closer to me than anyone else, and she truly cared for me. She was the irreplaceable person who served me.

"I really appreciate it. From the bottom of my heart, I am happy that you stayed with me." (Anise)

"...There's no need to say that." (Ilya)

"It's not that... I thought it was a good opportunity. You've dealt with my selfishness for so long, but in the end, the most important thing is your wishes." (Anise)

It might've been a whim. But, I wanted to receive, in her words, her feelings that she's only shown in her attitude thus far. I wanted to respond to her feelings, rather than her deal with my selfishness.

For a while, Ilya merely sipped her wine in silence. She seemed to be gathering her words. I slowly drank my wine.

"...I too have been taking advantage of the roles given to me." (Ilya)

"Hm...?" (Anise)

"Originally, I was just a tool for my house. Before you found me, all I'd done was gather power for my house and associate with those who had it. Beyond that, I never saw value in myself." (Ilya) (1)

"..., I see." (Anise)

"Yes. It was very easy for me to be found by you and to live my life doing what you wanted me to do. I didn't have to be respectful. You were a good master who ditched formalities and told me to live as I pleased..." (Ilya)

Huh. Ilya smiled with her cheeks flushed with alcohol.

"You wanted me. And here we are. Your happiness was my happiness, and my happiness was your happiness. It has been an honor. I could not be more honored, for I've been nothing but a failure." (Ilya)

"...I see." (Anise)

"But... though I could protect your heart, I couldn't guide you. That's something I couldn't help with. I don't have the heart to give an ideal, nor do I have the power to take your hand. I am only a maid of honor, a reject daughter of a baroness." (Ilya)

"You're worth more than that." (Anise)

"Yes. The most important thing to remember is to not just take kindness and go. If it weren't for... Euphilia-sama, I wouldn't have reached this conclusion." (Ilya)

My heart jumped a little when Euphie's name was mentioned. I slurped down a glass of wine to cover it up.

"...Wow, perhaps, do you love me?" (Anise)

"I love you most of all in this world. You are my most beloved person, my master, Princess Anne-Sophia. If you haven't got the message yet, shall I tell you with my fists?" (Ilya)