Book 1: Chapter 2

The city of Vale was alive. Not in the conventional sense of the buildings or streets themselves, which would have taken some pretty serious magic – but in the way the cobbled roads bustled with activity. Heroes were coming and apparently, that brought with it attention.

I wasn't sure if it was a regular thing, perhaps it was just what took place on the first day, a chance to see the heroes of tomorrow when they were still young. Either way I attracted my fair share of attention as I made my way down packed roads. It was honestly kind of embarrassing. People reached out to touch my armour, some shouted words of encouragement, others simply waved and cheered. Hell, at one point a little girl came rushing out in front of me, just to hand over a small flower and run away.

I'd never been so humiliated in my life. Not that it was only me getting the attention, there were a few others behind and ahead of me, with backpacks and suitcases, making their way towards the Academy. Some of them waved back and smiled, while others looked more like myself; nervous, uncertain and reserved.

It was the most important day of their lives... of our lives. I was one of them now. Had to try and remember that. Grit and bear it – that was all I could do. As one foot was forced before the other, drawing me inexorably closer to what represented both my doom and salvation. Excitement and anticipation warred within me. I didn't know whether I should feel happy or sick – and it had somehow merged into something altogether worse.

But as the stone and wood buildings gave way, as red-slated rooftops surrendered their dominion to bright, blue sky – the crowds began to disperse. I think it was most obvious when the cobbled path beneath me became pristine, white marble. Rows of stalls and shouting figures became green gardens, rich with vibrant flowers and trees in full bloom.

The tall, twisting towers of Beacon stood before me, like the claws of some gargantuan beast tearing a chunk from the sky itself. I'd never seen something so huge in my life, it was incredible! Some of the buildings had domed ceilings, others were tall and long, with triangular roofs that seemed to carry on forever. The windows too, tall and bright with stained glass that depicted incredible scenes of brave Heroes defeating great beasts. Cowered behind said Hero were huddled and frightened figures, no doubt civilians, farmers and such. People like me.

It was too much. Everything was too much – and far too soon. I wasn't one of them, I never would be – at most I could aspire to fire the glass that went into those windows, or maybe smith the frames that held them in place. Yet here I was, about to walk inside with people so far above me, and try to become one of them?

It was insane! I was insane!

I could still go back. I could give up this stupid idea and go home. No one would say anything, hell, no one would even have to know! I took a step back, eyes still locked onto the imposing Academy.

"Sorry," someone mumbled as I bumped into them. A hand touched my shoulder, pushing me gently aside as a feminine figure walked by. Long legs, a rich red skirt and black blazer – she had an ornate bow slung over one shoulder, with a quiver of arrows attached to the back of her hip. The word "Archer" was visible above her brown hair. The girl turned at the last second, dark shades slipping down her nose as she winked.

A student... a student of Beacon! Not a new aspirant like myself, but an honest-to-goodness returning student. A Hero. A real one! Holy crap, it was actually the first one I'd ever seen so close up – and she'd walked by. No, she'd touchedme – hell, she talked to me!

And then, while I was still trying to process the majesty of that, another walked by – and then another. Until it was a tide, walking past me, each making their way towards the school. My head swam. Warriors, Archers, Mages, I even saw some more esoteric Classes like Enchanter and Paladin. Some were in the same uniform as the girl from earlier, but most were more like me – wearing whatever they had to hand. Armour, cloth, leather – all in different colours and designs.