Chapter 38: Loyalty First, Anger Second

Italicize - someone's thoughts or a story from the past

Bold - sign language 

Eventually, Tarsem came back from his hunt, and he immediately came to greet his guests.

"Neytiri, how are you?" Tarsem greeted.

"I've been well. How are you?" Neytiri returned.

"I've been quite busy." Tarsem joked, and everyone awkwardly laughed. "I would like to speak with you and Neteyam privately, if that's okay with you?" Tarsem asked, and Neytiri nodded.

Neteyam and Marali had been setting up their mattresses when Tarsem came in, and when Tarsem said Neteyam's name, both teens turned to look at him. "Neteyam, we are going to talk with Tarsem privately when you finish unpacking, so hurry up," Neytiri informed.

"It's no rush, Neytiri. Besides, I still have to talk to our visitors from the water," Tarsem said as he walked over to inspect Ao'nung, Tsireya, and Rotxo. "What are your names?" He asked.

Ao'nung visibly stiffened, but he quickly greeted the Olo'eyktan, and the other two Metkayina teens followed suit. "I'm Ao'nung, and this is my sister Tsireya," Ao'nung spoke.

"I'm Rotxo," The boy introduced.

Tarsem walked around to inspect the Metkayina teens before he nodded approvingly, "I think all three of you will fit in just fine here, especially since it will be the Sully children and Marali teaching you," Tarsem told them, and they all nodded their heads in understanding.

"I must warn you, though. The other teens here," He paused as he looked back at the Sully children, "can be vicious and unwelcoming to outsiders, or those they consider to be a threat,"

"We'll make sure no one messes with them," Lo'ak said confidently.

Tarsem smiled at the youngest Sully boy as he went over to him, "As I remember, it was always Neteyam getting you out of fights," Tarsem teased, and Lo'ak looked down in embarrassment.

"Tarsem, not in front of Tsireya," Lo'ak whined.

Tarsem rolled his eyes at the teenager as he turned his head to look at Marali. Marali had always considered Tarsem to be like her older brother. Before Marali left, the two spent a lot of time together, and he was one of the men besides Jake who helped her become the warrior she is today.

"Hey, Shortie. How are you feeling?" Tarsem asked, and the three Metkayina teens looked at Marali, confused. They had never heard someone call Marali 'Shortie' before.

"I'm doing good, Chubs," She teased back, and Tarsem playfully glared at the girl.

'Chubs' was what Marali called him when she was younger because Tarsem was a chubby kid that eventually grew into a fit teen and adult. However, Marali refused to call him by his name even after he grew out of his chubbiness.

"I see that you and Neteyam finally got together," Tarsem smirked.

"Yeah, took us long enough, didn't it?" Marali said as she felt Neteyam wrap his arm around her shoulder. "What do you mean finally?" Neteyam asked, and Marali rolled her eyes.

"How many times do we have to go over this with you, bro?" Lo'ak groaned.

"Everyone knew that you two were going to get together, we just didn't know when a move was going to be made," Kiri sighed.

"I made the first move," Neteyam said proudly, and Tarsem looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "You made the first move?" He questioned, and Neteyam nodded his head.