⁷ 𝙇𝙀𝙂𝙀𝙍𝘿𝙀𝙈𝘼𝙄𝙉

⁰⁷ LEGERDEMAIN

⁰⁷ LEGERDEMAIN

I'm bad, he's worse, we're already dead.

Ethel Cain, Inbred

       "COVER THE BACK!"

       "COVER THE BACK!"

       The Center for Disease Control emblem was the first to enter the sight of everyone into the massive building. Harlene stumbled over the squeaky floors as Landon anchored her on her feet, instantly gathering herself and unlocking the safety of her pistol toward the dark lobby.

"Watch those doors!" Dale shouted. "Watch for walkers!"

The men surrounded the women and children in a circle of protection. It was a minute of silence that had everyone tense, observing the eery stillness. "Hello?" Rick's voice echoed through the absolute empty.

       A clatter made them alarmedly turn to the noise, aiming at the potential threat. A machine gun was in the hold of a middle-aged man. Disheveled hair and unkempt impression, he stood far into the building under the shadows. Despite being outnumbered, he was carrying a daring expression. His bead-green eyes watched their every move, flickering back to the gates in case of any undead beast.

"Anybody infected?" The man questioned.

Rick shook his head, "One of our group was. He didn't make it."

At the unnecessary share, Harley stiffened. She stood straighter with a sharp grimace. Her aim was raised, wary of the machine gun, newly recovering from what she could only assume to be a panic attack.

"Why are you here? What do you want?"

"A chance." Rick slowly lowered his gun.

He was trying to be peaceful, but the CDC employee did not let that deter his defense, "That's asking an awful lot these days."

"What is the point of your job if not to help people like us?" Landon blurted out. "Why open the doors if you're going to send us back out?"

The man carefully eyed every single one of them. They shook with fear, some hardly containing tears, taking deep breaths of adrenalin. With pity, though warily, he dropped his guard. "You all submit to a blood test," He conditioned. "That's the price of admission."