chapter sixteen - a cave

Start from the beginning

"O- O, I am so sorry." He stutters. I go to comfort him, but in an instant Octavia whips around and punches him square across the jaw. I gasp.

"Octavia, stop!" I shout as she throws another punch. Bellamy just takes it. 

"Octavia thats enough." Kane states, trying to sound commanding. I can tell he is just as distraught as the rest of us.

"Stay out of this." Bellamy pleads, letting Octavia continue hitting him. I turn away, unable to watch what is happening. I understand Octavia's grief but this is no way to go about it. I hear Miller try to step in but Octavia just pushes him away. After another minute, I can't stand the sound anymore. I feel nauseous. I spin around and charge towards Octavia. I grab her shoulders from behind and pull her away from Bellamy. I shove her again so her focus is only on me.

"If you want to fight, then lets fight. A real fight! Not beating your own brother senseless." I growl. 

"He did this!" She cries out between taking shaky breaths. Her chest rises and falls quickly. She cries out and lunges towards Bellamy again. But I take one look at his bloody face and quickly step in the way. I block Octavia's attack and kick her in the stomach. She doubles over and lets out a loud sob. But she stands up and swipes her sweaty hair out of her face. Now her eyes are only on me, good. She comes at me full force. She first tries to punch me but I dodge it. However, she manages to land a kick to my side. The air is knocked out of my lungs. This allows her to land a punch to my cheek. Now I'm kneeling on the ground beside Bellamy. 

"The two of you are made for each other." She hisses, "You're both dead to me." Bellamy lays on the ground, blood dripping from his mouth and nose. He watches with tears in his eyes as Octavia stomps out of the cave. My eyes are only on him. He finally matches my gaze. I bite my lip to keep my own tears from falling. What have we become?

----------------

I sit with Bellamy, away from the rest of the group. He is still chained to the wall. Everyone else sits around a small fire. I use a small dirty rag to dab away at the blood still dripping down Bellamy's chin from his split lip. I managed to clean up everything else but this one damn cut just won't stop bleeding. 

"I almost got you killed too." Bellamy whispers to me, not wanting the others to hear. 

"I owe my life to Lincoln." I admit. "I'll never be able to repay her." I mutter, my eyes wandering to  Octavia. I listen in as the group talks about the blockade. They talk about the one thing I've known all along: Pike is the solution to our problems. "Is Lexa really dead?" I ask. Bellamy nods, never taking his eyes off of his sister. 

Lexa's death means Polis will be weak. It's the perfect time for someone to swoop in and steal the throne. Especially since I know Lexa had yet to pick a night-blood to follow in her footsteps. Who would even dare to attempt to steal the Commander's throne? I have only one person in mind. Kai. The static of a radio pulls me from my thoughts.

"Bellamy, come in. It's Monty, I'm in trouble." Everyone looks toward the radio that sits on the ground next to Sinclair. "Please say you still have your radio." The boy pleads. Kane reaches for the radio but Sinclair stops him.

"What if Pike is listening?" He asks. Everyone is silent.

"Go to channel seven." Bellamy speaks from beside me. I look at him with my eyebrows knit together. What? "Please say you still have your radio. That's seven words after the word trouble."

Sinclair and Kane share a look. Octavia frowns but continues to sharpen her sword. 

"Its code. Go to channel seven." Bellamy repeats. He sighs, realizing his friends don't trust him anymore. Sinclair fiddles with the radio and then hands it to Kane. I grab Bellamy's hand and intertwine our fingers, trying to give him some reassurance. I trust him. Monty calls for Bellamy again, this time on channel seven.