Chapter 25

---

When (M/N) woke up, he had a brief, delicious feeling of happiness that was somehow connected to Katsuki. Happiness, of course, was a complete absurdity at this point, since at the rate things were going, he would be dead in a day. And that was the best case scenario, if he was able to eliminate the rest of the field, including himself, and get Katsuki crowned as the winner of the Quarter Quell. Still, the sensation was so unexpected and sweet that (M/N) clung to it, if only for a few moments. Before the gritty sand, the hot sun and his itching skin demanded a return to reality.

Everyone was already up and watching the descent of a parachute to the beach. (M/N) joined them for another delivery of bread. It was identical to the one they received the night before. Twenty-four rolls from District 3. That gave them thirty-three in all.

They each took five, leaving eight in reserve. No one said it, but eight would divide up perfectly after the next death. Somehow, in the light of day, joking about who would be around to eat the rolls had lost its humour.

How long can we keep up this alliance? (M/N) thought. He was sure no one expected the number of tributes to drop so quickly. What if he was wrong about the others protecting Katsuki? If things were simply coincidental, or it had all been a strategy to win their trust to make them easy prey, or (M/N) didn't understand what was actually going on? Well, there were no ifs about that. He didn't understand what was going on. And if he didn't, it was time for him and Katsuki to clear out of there.

(M/N) sat next to Katsuki on the sand to eat his rolls. For some reason, it was difficult to look at him. Maybe it was all that kissing last night, although the two of them kissing wasn't anything new. It might not have even felt different for him. Maybe it was knowing the brief amount of time they had left. And how they were working at such cross-purposes when it came to who should survive these Games.

After they ate, (M/N) took Katsuki's hand and tugged him towards the water. "Come on. Let's wash off." (M/N) needed to get him away from the others where they could discuss breaking away. It would be tricky, because once they realised the two were severing the alliance, they would become instant targets.

For a little while (M/N) noticed Neito keeping a careful eye on them, but eventually he lost interest and went to take a nap. Denki was weaving a new net of vines and Tenya played with his wire. (M/N) knew the time had come.

"Look, the pool is down to eight. I think it's time we took off," (M/N) said under his breath, although he doubted any of the tributes could hear him.

Katsuki nodded, and (M/N) could see him considering the proposition. Weighing whether the odds would be in their favour. "Tell you what," he said. "Let's stick around until Kuzo and Illona are dead. I think Tenya's trying to put together some kind of trap for them now. Then I promise we'll go."

(M/N) wasn't entirely convinced. But if they left now, they would have two sets of adversaries after them. Maybe three, because who knew what Yamada was up to? Plus the clock to contend with. And then there was Tenya to think of. Neito only brought him for (M/N), and if they left Neito would surely kill him.

I can't protect Tenya as well, though, (M/N) reminded himself. There could only be one victor and it had to be Katsuki. (M/N) had to accept that. He had to make decisions based on the blonde's survival only.

"All right," (M/N) said. "We'll stay until the Careers are dead. But that's the end of it."

It was a good point to end the conversation because Tenya called them over, and it turned out that during all those hours of fiddling with wire, he had indeed come up with a plan. "I think we'll agree our next job is to kill Kuzo and Illona," he said mildly. "I doubt they'll attack us openly again, now that they're so outnumbered. We could track them down, I suppose, but it's dangerous, exhausting work."