26

ⓣⓗⓞⓢⓔ ⓖⓞⓛⓓⓔⓝ ⓔⓨⓔⓢ

ⓣⓗⓞⓢⓔ ⓖⓞⓛⓓⓔⓝ ⓔⓨⓔⓢ

The next day, Hye-In was constantly found staring at nothing and her mind seemed to be lost in a trance, everyone noticed that. Usually, she would not make any simple mistake as mistaking sugar with salt when she's cooking for everyone. It was bizarre and Hak knew exactly what caused her to be like that. The tall guy immediately took her hand and brought her outside, leaving Kija and Yona figuring out what to eat. Hye-In didn't say anything, just blindly followed him wherever he took her.

"Hye-In. Look at me."

The girl only lifelessly raised her head. "I'm scared, Hak. I'm scared if my past would eventually catch up with us, the thought of him doing something to you—" She raised her hand to his cheek gently, caressing him as if she's pouring all her love on him. "It kills me. I know you are all strong and can fight on your own but you don't have any idea of what he is capable of. How did things end up this bad? Was it because of me staying here—"

"Hye-In. Stop—just stop blaming yourself. Why are you torturing yourself when you are clearly not at fault here?" Hak sighed and cradled her face. They had talked about this many times yet she would always find herself telling him that they would be safer without her. "We'll get through this. Together. You believe in me, right?" He felt her nodding her head slowly. "Then, trust me, I would never let him hurt you anymore. I won't let him hurt Yona either. I'll protect both of you."

The naagin put her palm on his chest. "Protect her, Hak. Promise me."

"I'll protect you both." He said it firmly and Hye-In smiled against his chest, pressing her forehead on his skin.

I'm sorry, Hak but if my past ever catches up, I'll leave immediately.

Hak kissed her on the head and gently tapped her on the shoulder. "Let's go, I think Yoon will be going to the village. I love you, Hye-In but you had ruined our breakfast with all of that salt. As much as I want the green snake to die, I don't particularly want him to die because of the hypertension." Hye-In slapped his forearm playfully as he continued to insult her cooking this morning. Thankfully, he managed to distract her from whatever she was thinking. "Come here, baby." He said before scooping her in his arms and carrying her like a bridal.

Hye-In burst in laughter, feeling a bit ticklish when he had his hand under her armpit. He purposely did that. "Hak—no!" He's tickling her and she had to put her arms around his neck to make sure she's not falling from all of the laughter she had. The couple made their way back to others and of course, Kija would be screaming at him for touching the lady vulgarly while Yona joined Hak to tickle her. Somehow, that lively atmosphere had taken off the dark thoughts in her head, although it was only temporarily, but it's better than her having to hold it all back inside alone.