Chapter-3: Back to where it began

Start from the beginning

"He lands in six hours. I will take a flight to New Delhi and pick him up at the airport, okay?"

"Yeah. Okay." They hang up and Amish starts looking for flights to Delhi but he can't let anyone know about the situation. He knows the bad relationship they have and can't afford to mess with it. God only knows how they will react."

***

Hours passed, and Amish is waiting at the airport. Maya waits for his call to confirm Aditya reached. Abhir contemplates how they reached this point as he holds onto his untouched glass of rum. Clock ticks as the time approaches for the flight to land. Akshay finally got the news of Aditya's disappearance three hours ago and helped with Maya's anxiety. It's an hour before the flight is supposed to land when it hits Maya that something doesn't add up.

The flight landed and the passengers were let out, and so was Aditya. He knew someone would be waiting for him at the airport, most probably his big brother, because he knows Maya and their father. They would bring down the entire airline to get to him. But he's sorry that he can't make it easy for them. He got off the flight at Chatrpathi Shivaji Airport, Mumbai through the service of Air India Airline. He knew he had to distract their attention elsewhere for him to get to India without any issues. So, he booked a flight on British Airways with his father's card with the intent of making that distraction happen. He had to waste one thousand four hundred pounds to create that distraction. He knows that spending so much will make him look stupid and impulsive which will make them not doubt his arrival at Delhi airport.

He also knows that it won't be long before his sister figures out his master plan. He has three days to go now. If he can hold his ground and stay hidden from his sister for three more days then everything will go as planned.

***

The moment Maya realizes something is not adding up, she calls Amish. He lifts the call on the second ring.

"Hello."

"You said you know someone at the embassy, right? Can you ask them if the passenger named Aditya Rajvansh boarded the flight?"

"But you said he bought the ticket. Why wouldn't he get on the flight?"

"Because he's more clever than he we think. Just get it confirmed if he boarded the flight."

"Yeah, sure." Amish does as Maya asked and finds out the miserable truth.

"No, he didn't Maya." Amish could only imagine where Aditya is now. "I am sorry. I will try to find him, so don't worry. You said he wanted to come to India. Do you know why?"

"There could only be two reasons. One, he wants to fix relationships with the family, but that he won't do because he knows you'll send him back. Two, he wants to find this painter. Some Mr. Arora, I think I've heard."

"Okay. I will try to find the painter and check with other international airports to see if he landed elsewhere. Don't worry, I will see to it that he reaches back home safely."

"Thank you."

***

Amish was able to discover that he landed in Mumbai and the painter lives not far from Rajkot. This was dangerously close to home. The first day ends with nothing to find where Aditya is but Amish was not one to give up he tried sending the local police on an unofficial search for his brother but came with nothing. On the other hand, Abhir was pulling all of his connections in India to find his son, while Maya simply sits quietly, dreading the inevitable goal of her brother. She knows her brother's plan better than anyone. He doesn't plan on hiding forever but just three days.

The second day begins with Abhir trying to cheer up Maya thinking that she is worried about her brother's safety, which she is but she also knows she doesn't have to. Aditya is clever enough to stay safe but his intention is to make her take the decision. By the end of the second day, Maya wonders what she should do. The memories kick in as she fights to make a decision.

Maya and Aidtya were 14 years old when they fought big for the first time. The fight was something small like any fourteen-year-olds would fight over. About where they should spend the day of Christmas. It shouldn't have been a big issue but Maya was going through a phase at the time when she came to know their family circumstances. It was all through a diary written by her mother and some letters. At the time, she didn't want to let anyone know of her knowledge of their family issues but keeping it all inside made her shrink into herself. Staying alone and reading random books became a habit and she began to spend less time with her brother. Aditya was a cheerful young kid who neither understood what was going on nor wanted to let his sister drift apart. All he wanted was to go to the water park on Christmas.

Maya disagreed and wanted to stay home. This led to a fight where Maya couldn't keep it in her anymore. She spilt everything she knew, which shocked Abhir, who was unaware of this. This led to Aditya's silence as he slowly went through what his sister said. The silent treatment went on for three days before Aditya came to Maya.

"I don't want to fight." Little Aditya said to his sister.

"You think I wanted to?" Maya was still cold but also felt guilty about putting it on Aditya.

"Let's call a truce. If you want to stay home, then we will stay home."

"You don't have to."

"Yes, I do. One of us has to."

They smiled and made up and made a promise.

"Here's what we do the next time we fight. If we ever get into a fight again we will stay away until three days before one of us gives up." Maya suggests.

"Yes. And if none of us gives up?" They went silent with that thought. After a while, Aditya continued. "We will split up. If none of us gives up then it is a fight that can't be solved and we will not see each other."

"Why should we split?" Maya's fear of splitting up from her brother was evident in her voice.

"Because then, we won't. One of us will definitely give up because if we don't, we have to split up. and because of that, we will not split up. "

"That will never happen."

"Yes. it won't." After that day their fights became easier to solve and they became closer than ever.

Now that she thinks about it she realizes that everything was planned by Aditya. He revealed his plan to go to India on their birthday because he knows she was vulnerable on that day and he said the exact words to piss her off because he wanted to start a fight. Their promise was clear. If they had a fight, one must call a truce within three days or they split up. If there is no fight then there will be no truce and he went to India because if Maya wants to call a truce, she has to find him in India. And he is hiding so Maya has no way of convincing him to call a truce or talk it out, which will inevitably leave her with two choices. Go to India and call a truce or forget about her brother.

If she calls a truce then she has to stay with him in India as he wanted for as long as he wants. To Maya, it's not just a decision of choosing her brother but about changing her goals for life. What about becoming a surgeon at Birmingham? It was a bigger decision than she had imagined.