• thirty three •

Start from the beginning

But when he readjusted himself, placing his hand over his stomach, my eyes were immediately drawn to it.

Every year I watch the clock strike midnight, marking off another year of my life and taking me closer to eighteen.

I didn't want to think about it, not this year. This year means almost as much as the next.

This year marks my sixteenth Birthday. One year closer to the beginning of the end.

One minute.

I thought I would be able to escape this daunting ritual I seem to have made for myself but the second I saw his watch I couldn't tear my eyes away.

I hold my breath as the final few seconds pass.

As if I could somehow stop time from moving by freezing myself in this moment.

I want to stay at this age forever. Be here, in this field, with Harry, forever.

But I cant.

Midnight.

Just like that the day passes on to the next. I release the breath I'd been holding, reality floating down upon me.

Today I have my birthday ball like I do every year.

The one that Father will only be making an appearance at before conveniently disappearing.

I don't mind that hes never there, but I would prefer not throwing the ball at all. However it is the perfect excuse for Mother to plan a new event while Father busies me for the day and gets me out of his hair.

Its the same things every year, gradually being altered with my age, this one being no different.

Except this time next year I will begin the process of preparing to be introduced to society. And the following year I shall be out, in search of a suitor. And then by the following year I shall be married.

This is my final year of just living.

I close my eyes trying not to think about it anymore.

I hug my arm around him tighter, using Harry as a way to ground myself in this moment rather than my own head.

Harry shifts beneath me, bringing his lips to my temple and placing a kiss.

"Happy birthday." he whispers.

My eyes shoot open and I immediately prop myself up on one elbow to look at him. "What?"

I didn't tell him it was my birthday. In fact I actively avoided bringing it up.

He laughs finding my shock amusing. "You didn't think I would miss it did you?"

My shoulders hang is disappointment. So much for this being just like every other night. "How did you know?"

He props himself up on his elbows bringing our faces slightly closer together. "Baby, you're the daughter of the duke. Your annual ball is all the ton is talking about."

"Oh. Right."

I cant hide my disappointment, I don't know why I didn't think about word getting around to him.

I know he's a member of the ton technically, but I feel as though he's just so different that I've separated him from that world entirely.

Considering what happened between our parents, our paths never cross.

"Hey, no pouting or you don't get your surprise."

My pout doesn't move.

"Harry you didn't have to get me anything."