Chapter 107: Behind Every Successful Woman... Is A Brunette

Start from the beginning

Katya hummed and got her phone from her pocket. She tapped on it, turned it ninety degrees, and then held it up for them both to see. She'd filmed herself, her phone propped up on something.

At first, Natasha only looked at an empty room—not Katya's usual room, she noticed, as the floor padding wasn't in this one—but then her wife ran into frame and settled into the middle right as the music started.

She'd chosen a classic; a routine they'd done so many times they could do it in their sleep, drilled into their brains for all eternity. That didn't mean, however, that Katya slacked off or put any less power and energy into it. It was nothing short of captivating, even for someone with an untrained eye, and Natasha stared at it with amazement until the video ended.

She shook her head with disbelief when Katya placed her phone on the desk, newfound admiration bubbling under her skin. That always happened when something threw her back to memories of Katya as a young girl. "You look as good and elegant as the day I met you."

A shy blush colored Katya's cheeks pink, but a tint of self-confidence glistened in her eyes. "My bones may be old now, but I got some tricks left in me," she said, adjusting Natasha's necklace so it lay flat against her chest. "Maybe you could come with me sometime and we can dance together? It's a good stress relief."

It was a careful proposal, just an idea thrown out there, but Natasha felt hesitant. First, she hadn't danced in a long time, and second, it was more of a private thing, something to do behind closed doors.

"I don't know..."

"Just think about it." Katya waved away any pressure of having to decide right away, her smile so soft the other woman felt herself melt into the chair. "We can go anytime and the door locks so nobody has to see."

Natasha narrowed her eyes knowingly. "You really want me to, don't you?" She laughed when Katya pulled a guilty face.

"Like I said, I think it'll be good for you."

One of her hands threaded back into Natasha's hair and slowly combed through the long locks from root to end before repeating the process. Natasha had to fight to keep her eyes open, the motion incredibly relaxing and her mind more tired than she realized.

"Is this one of those moments where the wife knows best?" She teased lightly.

"No, I always know best. But this time I know better than best. Bestest." Katya grinned at her stupid joke.

Natasha snorted and dropped her forehead onto her wife's shoulder, allowing her eyes to close. A deep breath left her lungs and her shoulders drooped. She could sleep like this, taking for granted the stiff neck and aching butt later.

Carefully, Katya cradled her head to her chest, kissing her hair. Her stable heartbeat pounded under Natasha's ear, lulling her further away. "I'm sorry, baby," she mumbled. "I'm blabbering nonsense and that's probably the last thing you want right now."

"Don't mind me, I like listening to you talk," Natasha muttered. But her voice was muffled into Katya's hoodie and sounded sleepier than she hoped it would have.

"Is that why you fall asleep in the middle of it?"

Despite not seeing it, Natasha could hear her teasing smile. "It's soothing me."

Katya's chest shook, but when Natasha's head was brought up from it, two hands cupping her cheeks to keep it up, all she found was an amused expression on the brunette's face and love in her eyes. She felt a bit like a tired child after a long day of school being tended to by their mom.

"Why don't we get something to eat—there's Indian takeout downstairs, if Maya hasn't eaten it all by now—and then some fresh air and exercise by taking an evening walk, and then call it a night early?" Natasha swooned when Katya's thumbs started caressing her cheekbones. "Because you look exhausted, my love."