Chapter 6

Kotoha will admit, her husband became clingy. Especially the evenings when he would return and cuddle close to her smelling of iron. But he was nice to have when she was feeling overheated and he would massage all her sore muscles after barely walking around the temple she called home.

He would pout from his position in the shadows as she soaked up the sun. His sensitive skin not allowing him to join her. However, when it became too much, she would make her way into his lap and cool down. Her husband would then insist on carrying her back to their bedroom.

She would have to tell him to not forget about his duties. He would flash a grin, his cute fangs reminding her of a cat as he told her she comes first.

Oh, how she loved him in those moments, pushing any stray hairs from his forehead to kiss and then hug him.

His knee was bouncing as he listened to another sad soul's story and he faked his tears and gave his advice. He was bored.

His wife was out with a few of his female followers and he was nearing only the middle of his daily listening.

He was starting to crave violence to kill the boredom.

Douma perked up as his ears picked up the excited heartbeat he knows well and looks to the doors before its slid open. The poor man before him is waved off as his wife dashes his way and he grabs her by the waist as she hurries to his side. Landing on his cushion throne, leaning heavily on him.

"Douma!" He could tell she must have been running for a minute to find him and didn't stop her now. Kotoha grabs his hand from her waist and settles it on her stomach that was reaching four months.

It takes a moment but he feels it.

A kick.

He laughs, kissing her behind her ear before knocking his head with her

Every moment was a joy with her.

He does panic every once in a while when he is eating the flesh of a female follower that won't be missed and hears her from across the way. Abandoning the meal for later, he would wipe his mouth and swiftly leave the room. Cravings and sickness (early stages at least) cause her to look around the temple for comfort.

Douma with his heightened senses could tell when she was close and to both be a husband and to keep his secret behind closed doors, he is quick to attend to her needs.

Kotoha would look so tired at those times and he would offer to carry or an arm at least when she insist on walking around just a bit more.

His meal would be cold and not nearly as tasty with cool blood but his wife was priority.

The day came when the sun was high and he could feel the disturbance. His blood ran cold as if Muzan was there but this was something different. An instinctive drive perhaps and it made him worry.

WHERE WAS HIS WIFE?!?!

Douma paced from the porch and the sun was still high in the air when he heard it. He could hear thunder in the distance and that barely raised his hair as much as this feeling.

All his senses blocked any other noises as he hears gasps. Panting in the distance like someone trying to catch their breath.

He clenches his fists, claws digging in his hands as he continued to pace the porch as the sun was the only thing stopping the caged predator.

If heaven was real, he was grateful the moment the clouds rolled in to block the light.

Kotoha was panting leaning against a tree, her kimono is stained from her water breaking and two of the female cultist that had gone with her for a morning walk kneeled with her on the steps that lead to the temple.

Sweat was on her brow and she could feel a drop of rain land on her forehead.

Then something closer to a snowflake lands and her husband is there.

"Douma-!" He is quick to kneel to her level and scan her before picking her up.

"Gracious one!" He ignores them and is taking two steps at a time when Kotoha flinches at the pain.

Something he can't stop.

He smiles and kisses his love's cheek. Kotoha returns the kiss but cringes and that only makes the demon quicken his pace.

"You're doing great. Just breathe." The rain has started to come down along with the flashes of lightning, followed by the rumble of thunder.

At the height of the storm that had engulfed the region, Kotoha was nearing the end. Midwives were instructing her through the last stages. His wife held his hand through the delivery.

Her strength reminded him of the last-ditch effort of many slayers as they try to cut him down. He would only hope that's not the case for her.

"You're almost there, Kotoha-chan." He hugs her shoulders and she screams once. His heart clenches as light flashes outside-

It goes silent as a deafening thunder stops him for just a moment before he hears it.

A cry of a baby.

He could only grin, his eyes glowing in the dimming of the light as their child is cleaned and handed off to Kotoha. Douma wipes her brow and lays next to her looking at the newborn.

He was beautiful, just like his wife.

So unlike him, a monster.

He sniffs curiously and his smile widens. The child smelled like her too!

Then their child open his eyes and he froze.

Breathtaking emeralds look at them and finally, Douma closes his smile to just his lips. Relaxing his head on top of Kotoha's, simply watching the child.

This was paradise.

His family is in his arms.

He flexes a bit when the baby sneezes, not expecting it but laughing afterward as Inosuke cries from his first violent action.

Upper Moon 2 brings his loved ones closer later that evening and rumbles in his chest.

He would quite literally murder anyone who took this away from him.

Art by EarthGoddesssReads!