Chapter 4

Rainbow eyes vast in their coloring seem to lose saturation as he held onto the limp form of Kotoha. Blood stained his teeth and he was shaking. Red was spreading more onto her shoulder and his fangs started to hurt as tears ran down his eyes. He started to tremble harder as he curled over her.

Is this what they called a nightmare?

Before

Douma didn't realize he was courting or as his male followers started calling it nowadays 'wooing'. He would go and find kimonos from his female victim's houses when he went hunting in his territory. Sometimes taking a hairpin from a noble, chewing on the tender flesh debating if it was worthy of Kotoha before stashing it or tossing as he leaves.

He would clean them himself and then gift them to Kotoha.

Her smile made him crave to see it more and more.

So before he knew it, he had started a courtship with her.

Not that either of them knew it. Both haven't been taught how to do such things. Douma had only been the cult's leader and never found anyone as appealing as Kotoha before Muzan gave him his blood. Kotoha had been sold to her ex-husband and was never cherished like Douma wanted to be.

So here he was laughing like a child with her at the monthly festival. It was late spring and she was just as enchanting under the lantern light. His own eyes sparkled with something. He was never bored and his appetite improved to just simple cravings compared to slaughter.

It was only for a moment, chatting with a man who was operating a stall that had many beautiful lotus earrings. Douma had only looked away once and she was gone the next. Kotoha was a free spirit but not enough to leave his side without telling him.

He whipped around, quickly bidding the stall manager well, before walking away at a brisk pace.  His heart.... Was pounding. What was this feeling? His sight jittered as he swept the crowd, trying to find her familiar hair color.

He caught the scent of blood. The hairs on the back of his neck raised as he set a faster pace to find the origin. It was a momentary distraction from Kotoha but when he made his way off the path leading to the forest, he felt his fangs ache more.

"You bitch." A man drags her head up while another continues to wrap a rope around her wrists.

Traffickers, Douma didn't believe they would be active here.

It seems as though she bit his hand and was smacked for it. Her lip was bleeding.

He should be amused but

"Oi, Oi, What is all this about?" He needed to act meek, he couldn't reveal himself to Kotoha.

So was his sweat and heartbeats fake?

The burlier one of the two raises a brow and raises kunai to him. Ah, so they were just farmers wanting to make some quick money.

Pity that they chose her.

"Douma-sama!" Kotoha was crying at this point and something cracked.

"MIND YOUR BUSINESS!!!" The distraction of her was what stopped Douma from simply sidestepping the attack.

Kotoha fell into his arms, kunai digging into her shoulder.

Pain streaked her face and -

They lost their heads and limbs, the one having stabbed Kotoha losing his wrist by Douma biting it off. Ice freezes over their blood, shattering by his own will as he drew the kunai out and chunks it into the night. He held tight to the wound and looked down.

Why - WHY DOES HE CRY!?!?

He curls over her and then-

"Douma-sama, It's okay." Her hand was on his cheek, once again wiping his tears.

She then stained her hands in blood.

He takes her hand, kissing away his sin from her skin. For just a few minutes they are simply there. Kotoha having moved to hold him and Douma kept the pressure on her wound while cradling her.

Kotoha tucks her head in his neck as he carries them away from the bloody scene.

He makes quick work of stitching up the wound. She would bite her knuckle but was brave nonetheless. The candlelight flickers as he finishes and brings a warm cloth to clean the leftover blood. Kotoha reaches over her shoulder and takes hold of his hand.

"Douma-sama, it's okay." Douma didn't realize he was trembling. His hand falls and he is looking in his lap. Tears are landing on his stained hands. He usually likes killing to fill the boredom.

It was during that chance encounter that he remembers how fragile humans are. He doesn't like the feeling.

Kotoha rolls up her kimono, hiding the evidence of the night away. In the distance, he could hear the fireworks of the Festival as it reaches it climax.

This was supposed to be a peaceful and enjoyable evening.

His head is cradled in her hands and he sees Kotoha smiling at him, her eyes still bright.

"It's okay, I'm going to be fine." She hugs him and he pulls her in his lap, her legs coming to wrap around his waist. She kisses the red of his head before moving to peck his forehead.

She rubs his back as he shakes.

She is still here with him

He lifts his head from the hug and Kotoha meets him in the middle as they are both desperate for comfort.