Chapter 17

"So he snuck into the room while we all assumed you were resting?", Mandy's eyes bulged out with excitement as I nodded, a blush creeping to my face.

I'd been discharged two days after Gavi's visit and had been advised some bed rest so as to not have anything trigger me during my recovery period. September was arriving and my college acceptance letters all sat on my lap, as I looked at all of them in contemplation while telling my tale to my best friend.

"Why have you only applied to Spanish Colleges?", Mandy asked, picking one up.

"I wanted to stay here, I won't be able to handle a move, now that I've grown so used to this country"

"Whatever", Mandy replied carelessly sifting through the letters, " University of Barcelona, University of Valencia, Salamanca, Alimante, Seville, Granada....you're lost"

I slammed my head into my hand in frustration, "I know". Choosing a college was proving to be harder than I'd anticipated and it was taking a visible toll on me. "I think I should forget about studying further", I finally said in the spur of the moment. Mandy snapped her head at me, glaring at me. I would've received a 5 hour long lecture after that, as per the tradition, had I not been saved by the door bell.

"You're expecting someone?", Amanda asked, confused. I shook my head. She got up quickly and walked out of the room to answer the door. I sighed and took another look at my college acceptance letters; they all seemed to be mocking me while I just stared at them in sheer exhaustion and irritation. Had Mandy not insisted on doing the selection, I would've procrastinated them till at least the last week of October.

"Come in!!", I heard Mandy's voice say with an unrecognizable sweetness. "Look who's here to see you", Mandy gushed, walking into the room followed by Pedri and Gavi. I quickly hid my letters under the blanket, before they could shift their eyes from my face to them. "Pedri!! You didn't tell me you were coming, I'd have prepared". "Don't mind", He brushed off, "We got you chicken soup and some congee". "You didn't have to-", I began. "I'll take them", Mandy hastily stated, taking the bags from him.

"Have a seat", I requested.

"So, how's it been?", Pedri asked, plopping down with his head on my lap. Gavi loudly cleared his throat with annoyance. "Relax, it's normal for us", Pedri brushed off, placing my hand on his head. "She's the sick one, not you", Gavi shot back, still awkwardly standing by the door. "Be normal and understand for once", Pedri groaned. His friend seemed to take offense, as he replied by pulling Pedri by his leg.

"You need to stop harassing me in public!!", Pedri screamed while laughing.

A few minutes later, Mandy returned from the kitchen with two bowls in a tray and four glasses in another. She's an excellent multitasker.

"Soup, congee and apple juice", She informed, setting the bowls and glass down. "And a round of wine for the legal people".

I made a face at her before starting with my dinner, while they conversed. Every now and then, I'd see Gavi glancing at me. I finally looked at him and clearly asked what was wrong, to which, he replied with, "Nothing". As stoic as ever. But by now, I'd gotten used to his nature and understood what he meant when he said something. His eyes were still looking into mine while he sipped his wine in sync with the others.

"I need to use the restroom", I said, excusing myself.

The cold water soothed my shaking hand. How  did he have such an effect on me?

"Open the door"

I jumped, turning around. "Gavi?"

"Pablo, call me Pablo, I'm Pablo for you"

"Go away", I groaned.

"Open the door, Evelyn"

"Please, go away"

"Open the fucking door", He commanded.

I internally screamed in frustration, feeling my body move against my will; opening the door.

He immediately got into the bathroom, locking the door behind him. "What're you doing", I whispered. He snaked his hands around my body, locking me in. His body filled mine with warmth as I soon gave up the resistance. "How're you?", He asked, pulling me in tighter. "I'm fine", I replied.

"I missed you so much".

My body went stone. "What's wrong?", He asked.

"Gavi..", I began, pulling away. His face instantly turned into one of confusion and fear. "What are we?", I asked, lowering my head.

"What?"

"What are we? You said you missed me, but you never came to see me. You just come to me when you want something . You act like you hate me. You continuously confuse me with your actions...I don't understand, Gavi...What are we?"

He turned his head away.

"I don't- We  are- ", Gavi began.

"Save it", I cut him off. I knew what was coming. His eyes spoke for themselves.

"I'm sorry", He said softly, leaning towards me. 

"Don't...Please don't", I said, pushing him away, before quickly walking out.

I knew what I was getting into when I got involved with him, and didn't learn my lesson even when life smacked me across my face.

My heart ached as I ran out of my apartment. Not knowing what to do. The last thing I wanted was for my friends to see my tear stained face after getting rejected by a guy.

"I'm sorry", I whispered to myself, "I'm so sorry"