2: Why Are Those Twins Kung-fu Fighting my Nightmare?

Morning comes too soon. I'm woken up by local radio, and I halfheartedly listen as I stretch and rise out of bed.

"That's right, Tom, it's another beautiful cold as fuck day in South Park! We can expect maybe some flurries tonight, but who knows? Not us, as we've proven time and time again."

I shut my alarm off and walk to my closet, my blanket wrapped around me like a cape. The outfit I choose is pretty basic, but it'll keep me warm and that's all I care about right now. Tank top. Tee shirt. Jeans. Sweater. Socks. Boots. We moved here only four days ago, so I haven't had the chance to buy flattering winter clothes.

I walk to the bathroom, brush my teeth, and wash my face. I look at myself in the mirror as I lazily fix my hair.

"I look fuckin' dumb," I whisper to nobody.

I shrug. I gather all my things, grab my coat and a single slice of bread for breakfast, and begin my walk to school. 

I'm joined by a pair of brunette twins my age, who walk in silence with me. I eat my bread as I walk, but I freeze when I see something emerge out of the ground less than 50 feet away. I watch in alarm as it rises to its full height, looming above us. It's...

I can't describe it. The only word I could think of that comes close to conveying what I'm seeing would be demonic. It has teeth sprouting from all over its body and a pair of tattered impish wings. Broken horns rested atop its head. It doesn't even resemble a human, but something tells me it once was.

I realize I'm looking at a demon. My throat tightens as terror washes over me. People always talk about fight or flight reactions, but rarely do they mention their cousin, freeze. I'm cursed with the freeze reaction, and so I remain in place, glued to the ground.

The twins don't, though. The girl one pulls her curly hair into a quick bun and pins her bangs to the sides with her pink barrettes. She reaches into her backpack with a blank expression and pulls out a grappling hook, and the boy one pulls out a handgun. 

"I do hate how frequent they've become," the boy says.

"I agree." The girl takes the boy's hand and grapples to a light post close to the demon. From there, the girl lets go of him and he rolls in front of the demon. He shoots at its face, and the girl clambers onto its back and takes out a paring knife, which she uses to stab it between the shoulder blades.

I watch the violent battle for its entire duration. During that time, the twins were knocked down and struck many times, but they sprung back to their feet within moments and resumed their attacks. Eventually, though, the demon fell to the ground and withered to dust, leaving me stunned.

"What... the hell???????" I manage to say. The two share a look, then stare at me as if deciding what to do with me. The girl caps her knife and tucks it in her pocket, then puts her grappling hook in the side of her backpack. The boy does the same but with his gun, double-checking if the safety was on before doing so. They turned and continued their walk casually, brushing the soot off their clothes and sorting out their hair. 

"Imagine if Mother and Papa learn of this," I hear the girl say in a tense voice. 

The boy shudders. "I'd rather not."

'....Was that a hallucination?'

I cautiously walk to where the demon just was. The air smells of dead animal and smoke. I scrunch my nose and rush to school.

I spend the majority of the day quietly trying to process what I saw. I attend my classes in total silence. I snap out of my trance when I'm suddenly in third period and Ze Mole is tapping my shoulder.

La Resistance Lives on!जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें